Author Topic: Can this be embroidered  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Can this be embroidered
« on: October 17, 2017, 12:55:57 PM »
First off, I know nothing about embroidery and I don't think I've ever see a garment with gradients embroidered.  The image I've attached is supposed to be on a left crest of polos and 100% polyester oxford garments.  Should I tell him this will have to be solid colors and maybe simplify it  so that it can be done?  If it can be done, would anyone be interested?   It should be a couple of hundred or more.  I haven't got the full details yet.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Can this be embroidered
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 01:23:07 PM »
short answer...no.

Long answer...take out the majority of the detail, any small text, I would even drop the gradients.  Take that logo and seriously dumb it down.  The smallest text you want to sew is about .15" high at the smallest, and it's hard to read at that size and there is a lot of room for error.  we try and stay above .2" high.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 01:26:20 PM »
all the inlines and outlines will add a huge volume of stitch count, small serif fonts are not your friend with embroidery
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 01:30:10 PM »
No way too much detail and clutter for embroidery...you will hate yourself and your customer will not like you much either.
You might try a couple of products from Stahls, Perma Twill or texture twill here is a link
https://www.stahls.com/full-color-digital-transfer
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 02:02:05 PM »
Thanks for the answers.  That's what I needed to know so I can inform the customer.  It's bad enough that I have to screen print that same logo inside of the letter O in Love Christ.  So it won't be any larger than 2.75 inches.

Offline dsh

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 02:30:09 PM »
You might try a printed vinyl.  It would do a nice job.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 02:55:27 PM »
I agree.  I have combined (plastisol) and Vinyl (heat) Transfers on a couple of jobs and it worked out very satisfactory for the customers.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 07:26:51 PM »
Yeah, this has digital transfer written all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 05:58:39 AM »
I agree.  I have combined (plastisol) and Vinyl (heat) Transfers on a couple of jobs and it worked out very satisfactory for the customers.
Yeah, this has digital transfer written all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've never used digital transfers, does it have that glossy look & plastic feel to it or can the untrained eye tell the difference that and screen printed? 

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 08:59:56 AM »
a lot of them can look glossy but I think there are some matte options from stahls depending on the material you are pressing.

If a customer really wants something like this embroidered I will usually send it off to have it digitized and then show them the sew sample(billing them of course).  Their expectations are usually met with a huge dose of reality. 

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 09:47:40 AM »
yes!
Clear poly thread and then sublimate on top. there were few examples at the SGIA, the stuff looked great!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 09:57:42 AM »
yes!
Clear poly thread and then sublimate on top. there were few examples at the SGIA, the stuff looked great!

pierre

How do they line it up? Just build in a fat forgiving border?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 10:19:38 AM »
yes!

pierre

How do they line it up? Just build in a fat forgiving border?

don't remember, but it was lined up nicely. These were patches so less chances of ruining the garment, but it should not be that hard. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 11:08:40 AM »
  I have trieed this in the past and the only problem is that the heat and pressure
of application will really flatten out the thread.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 08:57:46 PM »
I appreciate the replies.  Sorry I haven't had time until now to check it.  They ended up deciding to scratch the idea of the embroidery for the time being.  I'll still have to print that same logo less then 3" tall.  Should be interesting.  I'm going to try 65 or 75 lpi.