Author Topic: Setup for right and left chest print on multiple sizes?  (Read 1702 times)

Offline merchmonster

Setup for right and left chest print on multiple sizes?
« on: October 20, 2017, 11:32:14 AM »
Check out the attached proof.
* Right and left chest print.
* Garment sizes are S-2XL.

I'm thinking about doing the following:
* 2 sets of screens that have both right and left chest prints on them, with varying distances in between
* One set for S-M hoodies
* One set for L-2X

Thoughts?

Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Setup for right and left chest print on multiple sizes?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 12:27:53 PM »
Bottom line is what the custy wants (and/or expects).
Other than that, some questions;
Have you run for this clothing line before, and in the past have you adjusted chest prints a bit by each size change, or like this just two different positions?
Is the price difference of running this as two prints a deal breaker?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 12:33:50 PM »
btw, couple of times in the past, I got together with the client and explained the situation and moved the two images closer together, and didn't treat it like two pocket type prints any more. They probably went for this solution to save on setup and print location costs.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 01:10:18 PM »
if they demand such placement and are ok with that...
paired 1 screen LC and RC designs never work. never is too strong a word. almost never.
the idiotic lengths people will go to try and not have another setup/screen charge.

I understand the front seats cost 4 times as much as the rear seats - could you just put another rear seat in the front of my new BMW for me and take the front seats charge off the invoice? thanks.

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 02:18:48 PM »
  I agree completely. I would never even try them together. I think I did once and
took as long to get it right as if I did two prints. I've been doing this for nearly 50
years now and I just don't see that it's worth it.

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 02:56:02 PM »
good customer, we've printed a lot of jobs for
i charged them for 2 print runs on front

for some reason i was thinking easier to keep the vertical placement same by having right and left together on same screen. but maybe not.
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 10:41:06 AM »
Our placement for left and right front design is for the design to be centered, 4" from the center of the shirt. The designs generally range in width from 3" to 4" wide. We explain that placement in all proofs sent out.This week, we had a customer for whom I had to make proportionally correct mockups; XS - M were to get an 8" wide print, and the L - XXXL an 11" wide print. We settled eventually on moving the actual center of the design over 1". Fine, as long as we all know and understand. I'd rather spend the extra time explaining, than reprinting at our expense. But our left and right front prints have never caused complaints, they all go 4" off center. There are only two things in the same place on any size shirt, the center and the top.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 04:34:01 PM »
I'd be wary of doing both at once.  I think Alan posted a job like that where it looked hilariously bad on a larger shirt, and I don't think two sets of screens will save you any time or fix any issues.

I do the same as Steve, center the design 4" over on the screen and lined up on the platen, but I also alter how I load the shirts a bit depending on the size (and whether it is a fitted vs boxy style).  For small shirts I typically line up the sleeve hem with the edge of my 16" platen vs the center line, so the design is usually closer to 3 or 3.5" off center vs 4", medium and large get centered like a standard print, then XL and 2XL get shifted the opposite way a a bit.  3XL I sort of eyeball, and in my experience there isnt a great spot to place a design on shirts that large anyway since people who wear that large of a shirt have weird and varied body shapes...

Be sure to have the collar a little further away on the larger shirts as well or it looks weird.

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 08:48:02 AM »
our rule of thumb for chest print placement SIDE to SIDE is to have the center of the design lined up with the point 'where the shoulder hits the collar' (if it's say a scoop neck/tank top or something - imagine where that would be on a t-shirt of the same size).

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 11:39:54 AM »
Just ask if the kids mind if the prints are in their armpits.

We run into this too when people want a center chest print and one at the hemline too, we always price it as 2 prints and do up a proof showing what it would look like.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:42:33 AM by Inkworks »
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 02:42:29 PM »
That image is great!  Definitely have clients who cant visualize potential issues with this kind of stuff no matter how much you try to explain it...

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 05:11:18 PM »
This is the one I did for a client that wanted a center chest and one on the front down b the hemline to show why it had to be 2 separate prints. please don't use it though as it was client artwork, but it shows the idea well.
Wishin' I was Fishin'