Author Topic: Pallet rubber change time  (Read 1891 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Pallet rubber change time
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:25:24 AM »
When do you know when it's time to change the rubber tops on your pallets, how can you tell.  All we have every had before we bought our auto was manual press's and none had rubber tops. ::)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Pallet rubber change time
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 10:47:59 AM »
When do you know when it's time to change the rubber tops on your pallets, how can you tell.  All we have every had before we bought our auto was manual press's and none had rubber tops. ::)

Are they scorched? gouged? rock hard?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 11:42:26 AM »
Not that I can tell, they seem pretty good still it's only been eight years, but I know they might not matter much if the press has tons of flashes or over flash over the years even press wash? although I do use pallet tape.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Admiral

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »
Sometime between 300,000 and 325,000 imprints on the specific pallet is when you will need to replace that rubber...Make sure you keep a very accurate imprint count per pallet!

I had the rubber replaced on the ones we received with our used auto since some had burn marks - browned but still flat, and the rubber was harder than our other pallets.  If those pallets were never changed they each saw 342,857 impressions on the Challenger III.

Offline IntegriTees

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 03:23:08 PM »
whats the process of changing the rubber?
Does M&R have a trade in program like many screen/frame builders have?

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 12:58:48 PM »
whats the process of changing the rubber?
Does M&R have a trade in program like many screen/frame builders have?

get good rubber (M&R or action ONLY)
instructions from M&R or Action - but roughly - glue both surfaces, let air dry, 2 people to apply (to prevent air gaps), sandwich 2 re rubbered platens together, clamp, wait, trim edges. viola. 

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 07:45:41 PM »
After using both rubber and aluminum pallets on M&R presses I now prefer the non rubber tops. Unless the pallets are very new, it makes pallet leveling less precise when an edge starts popping up. Sure I could just replace the rubber, but I can't honestly justify the expense when the difference in print quality is so negligible. The main benefit I think is the prevention of static shocks, but that might be my imagination.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 08:16:12 PM »
Most cost effective is to order the rubber and glue (must be correct 3m product) from M&R and apply yourself.

Action's product is very convenient but you pay for it.

M&R will definitely take care of this for you for a very reasonable cost and, if memory serves me will grind down and flatten them too but don't hold me to that last part, ask M&R.  The only issue is that shipping to and from may be cost prohibitive.

Offline Biverson

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 10:53:40 PM »
I just replaced six tops on my manual. Got the all in one system from Action. Just make sure your pallets are clean and sanded, cut rubber and apply. I let them sit overnight face down. Was the second time I've done this (did them on my previous manual too) and it's super easy. No glue mess, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brett - Pioneer Print Co.
www.idoshirts.com

Offline Admiral

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 11:35:35 AM »
Most cost effective is to order the rubber and glue (must be correct 3m product) from M&R and apply yourself.

Action's product is very convenient but you pay for it.

M&R will definitely take care of this for you for a very reasonable cost and, if memory serves me will grind down and flatten them too but don't hold me to that last part, ask M&R.  The only issue is that shipping to and from may be cost prohibitive.

M&R did it for 14 old M&R platens for us (I posted in an old thread each platen saw around 342K prints - they were yellowed, tinged from burning slightly, and the rubber was harder than it used to be).  They probably just need to be M&R and you can go that route.