Author Topic: Tag Printing.  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
Tag Printing.
« on: November 06, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »
We have never done it - have a request for it - questions

1. how do you price for it?
2. do you have a minimum requirement (total? per size?)
3. production tips trick (tag press would be NICE but complete overkill for one job)
          we have 8/10 auto and a 6/6 manual both with sleeve platens. Fairly easy to put at least 2 sizes per manual screen on sleeve platens - anything better than that? action koozie platen?
4. is discharge nesc for necktags? anyone just doing 280 mesh with a reduced plastisol instead (or similar?)

Offline Prince Art

Re: Tag Printing.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 01:31:48 PM »
If it's not going to be a common thing for you, I'd say just use the sleeve pallets. If the collar is in the way, you can build up a little with card stock/neoprene/etc. And yes, we've printed tons of them with plastisol through 230 mesh.

Pricing depends on what's involved:
-If you're pulling/trimming tags, you have to charge for that. I assume you probably will remove these, but it's not a given. We've done some where the original tag stays intact, & print goes underneath. Also some where the upper mfr branding label is removed, but care label stays intact, then we add printed branding beneath. (FYI: If an original tag is left in place & you have to print under it, & you've built up your pallet, rubber bands around the pallet work well to keep the tag out of the print area - just tuck the tag under the band.)
-If you aren't printing sizing info, then label print should just be an add'l location.
-If completely replacing the care & sizing labels with printed ones, then WE still charge like it's an add'l location, and add appropriate fees for setting up each new size. (These are typically burned in the same screen in a way that facilitates a quick change, either by sliding the screen or the pallet(s) & taping off the already-printed area.)
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 11:24:46 AM »
SUPER easy way we did it for a while before we got a tag printer, and actually still do it this way if it is a new customer and we feel they will need to prove sales before we go through and make tagging screens ect. We print ganged transfer sheets. All the sizes on one 12" * 12 " sheet. Only 1 screen to image/burn/set up/clean/reclaim. If they prove they have the volume after a few re orders we make screens for the tag machine. 

Only major flaw to the system is that the friggin' transfer tags usually end up looking better(more opaque) than what the stupid tag press is capable of!!!  >:(
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 12:22:22 PM »
SUPER easy way we did it for a while before we got a tag printer, and actually still do it this way if it is a new customer and we feel they will need to prove sales before we go through and make tagging screens ect. We print ganged transfer sheets. All the sizes on one 12" * 12 " sheet. Only 1 screen to image/burn/set up/clean/reclaim. If they prove they have the volume after a few re orders we make screens for the tag machine. 

Only major flaw to the system is that the friggin' transfer tags usually end up looking better(more opaque) than what the stupid tag press is capable of!!!  >:(

this is how we do it to.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 12:40:11 PM »
good stuff there.
tansfers. duh.
applying them any easier at that point with a hat size heat press?

so you charge each size as a custom design? seems like that would substantially raise the price pretty steeply?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 12:53:34 PM »
good stuff there.
tansfers. duh.

so you charge each size as a custom design? seems like that would substantially raise the price pretty steeply?

We charge a set up fee for the press, and then a flat fee per tag.

And it's really easy heat pressing them with a hat heat press. that's how most shops do it.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 05:23:13 PM »
good stuff there.
tansfers. duh.

We charge a set up fee for the press, and then a flat fee per tag.

And it's really easy heat pressing them with a hat heat press. that's how most shops do it.
Same thing we do, cover your costs in the set up.

Eric- if you guys get heat presses, ask her to make you a custom 4" puppy like the one below. Thing was and I guess still is a game changer pre tag press.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 08:45:24 AM »
Alex - Where do you get one of those heat presses?!  We would love a 4" set up like that.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 09:11:35 AM »
Alex - Where do you get one of those heat presses?!  We would love a 4" set up like that.

Pm me your info and I'll connect you with the guys I passes the contact info on to.
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 11:38:45 AM »
I have a geonight label press ($50 on craigslist a while back).  Stock platen is 6x8 which is too big for tagging, but geoknight made me a custom 4x4 for like 60 bucks and that thing is perfect for tags.  Obviously the pneumatic shuttle linked above would be faster...

Offline Bearded Lady

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 10:53:06 AM »
For shirts that I sell at retail I print my branding under the hang tag.  manual press on the front edge of a onesie or sleeve pallet.  305 mesh.  super thinned out plastisol.  WB bleeds through to the back of the shirt too much.  a little adhesive above where the collar lands to hold the tag out of the print area.