Author Topic: Know it All's  (Read 3305 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Know it All's
« on: November 10, 2017, 01:28:24 PM »
Having a nice slow day and putting some finish touches on art to email out, and I got to thinking (you all know I'm dangerous when I think LOL), but any how many of us that own a shop could walk in and do the art, color sep the art, burn the correct screens, setup the press and go to town printing?  I do it every day because of the size of my shop, maybe not the top notch level art that wins awards, but could still hang in there with many other shops, so are you just a owner or a know it all  ;D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
Re: Know it All's
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »
My shop isn't small but isn't that big either...... I will say I still do everything, clean screens, do art, seps, run a press, mix ink, deal with upset clients, cut the checks, wipe the floors, clean the crap off the toilets, etc

this will all be changing for me very soon though  ;)
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 01:36:34 PM »
My shop isn't small but isn't that big either...... I will say I still do everything, clean screens, do art, seps, run a press, mix ink, deal with upset clients, cut the checks, wipe the floors, clean the crap off the toilets, etc

this will all be changing for me very soon though  ;)

better than what I had to clean out of the bathroom a few weeks ago...go ahead and use your imagination, because your probably right.

Offline medium

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 02:07:40 PM »
I do all of the above - but I have a small shop (despite the two autos). The sooner I relinquish any of these responsibilities the better!

As I'm sure those of you with smaller shops possibly feel the same - it's hard to run the business when you're making the business run!

I'm still trying to figure out whether I lack the staff willing to match my standards or lack the teaching skills necessary to train them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 02:37:51 PM »
Except for the voices in my head I am flying solo and handle everything from a commercial location.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »
I am a certified Know-It-All and have a hoodie to prove it!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaF4qA77ABc

Don't do much on daily bases any more, but have to jump in here and there. We are setting up the new exposure unit and washout system so I've been in the back last few days (building cabinets and running electrical). Then next week I'll play the maintenance guy some more and fix the copier, two computers and backup software.
If everything goes OK, two weeks from now I should be able to go back to business planning and marketing. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 03:12:58 PM »
I can do all that, though I don't run the MHM hardly ever and would have to refamiliarize myself with it. A manual? Sure, easy peasy. I started as a printer, moved to screen making, which got me involved with the process camera and darkroom work. As time goes on, you learn or develop what you need to learn, then train others. Once I started making screens, I needed to know it all... fast forward from '72 to '90, and I change to digital, Illustrator 88, Photoshop 2.0, Freehand 2.0

Steve
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 10:50:28 AM by Sbrem »
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 03:15:49 PM »
Except for the voices in my head I am flying solo and handle everything from a commercial location.
mooseman

A funny shirt I saw once, "Even though the voices in my head aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas!"

Steve

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 03:22:38 PM »
I gotta say, that being a language 'know it all", I have to suggest substituting the term "do it all" because of the negative connotation of the former.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 03:37:47 PM »
I gotta say, that being a language 'know it all", I have to suggest substituting the term "do it all" because of the negative connotation of the former.

HA HA HA...I'm sticking with Know it all!!!!!  ;)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 10:51:57 AM »

Negative connotation? I gotta tell Bullwinkle...

Steve

Offline StinkyDaddy

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 11:04:14 AM »
I needed to know it all... fast forward from '72 to '90, and I change to digital, Illustrator 88, Photoshop 2.0, Freehand 2.0

Steve

AI88 and Freehand, good times. Setting the point on a path and waiting 30 seconds for the mac se to catch up... and thinking how cool this is.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 11:15:57 AM »
The longer ago one started, and the smaller the operation both greatly increase the need to know it all to be able to do it all.

Young 'uns got it too easy!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 11:39:51 AM »
Only time I outsource seps is with sim process type art, but I rarely do that. Otherwise I do everything start to finish.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 11:41:17 AM »
I’ve been called a know it all before..  ;D

I can run a shop top to bottom if needed, just prefer to watch other people who are good at what they do, do it for me.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services