Author Topic: Tablet for note-taking?  (Read 976 times)

Offline Prince Art

Tablet for note-taking?
« on: November 02, 2017, 10:30:34 AM »
Just curious if anyone here has a device +app they like for handwritten notes. I'm not looking to replace my desktop - it's more like I want to replace a paper notebook / clipboard. I mainly want a device for writing, where I can either jot down thoughts with a stylus or type them out (attached or bluetooth keyboard), and then edit & output in an Office-compatible format. So handwriting will need to be converted to editable text, a feature which I think is called active digitizing. Would prefer to keep it on the cheap, as I won't use most other features.

I've been researching a bit, so I know some of what's out there. Just wondering if any of the helpful crowd here has any recommendations based on real world use.

Thanks!
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Re: Tablet for note-taking?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 11:26:37 AM »
Newest ipad pro + pen is butter smooth, but pricy.

Google's latest chromebook pixelbook has a nice pen option and it has hand writing recognition so I think it's easy to convert to regular text. That's also a pricy option, but it's a sweet 2-in-1 laptop and Chrome OS is good for a lot of productivity tasks, note taking, emailing, scheduling etc. I want to pull the trigger on one, but I have too much other stuff to get right now to justify the purchase.

Surface products from Microsoft also have a nice pen.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 08:41:05 AM »
Thanks for the input, Jake. I've looked at the Pixelbook a little. Surface, too, but it's more machine for more $ than I need. Top contender right now is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A. Price is lower, but is supposed to have a good pen + handwriting recognition. Have yet to put my hands on one in person, though.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 08:56:48 AM »
Samsung does have good pen input for sure. They have so many products that I can't really keep up, but I feel like they cover all the price points. I think they also have a nice chromebook that's a lot cheaper then the pixelbook and it comes with the pen.

My brother had a samsung tablet a few years ago and I remember him showing me how his hand written notes automatically would transfer to type text, it was pretty cool. I'm sure the technology has only gotten better since then.

In terms for a good app to use - I'm a big fan of Google Keep. I can write a note or list down on any of my devices and it automatically updates since it's all cloud based. So no matter which computer or phone I'm on I can check/update the notes. I'm pretty sure they have a feature on it now that can accept hand written notes if you have a device with a pen.

I heard good things about Evernote also, but I haven't tried that one yet.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:02:14 AM by Nation03 »