Author Topic: PC People, I need advice!  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Get Shirts

PC People, I need advice!
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »
We're all Mac over here except for one computer needed to run our Wilcom embroidery software. It's time to upgrade that PC and I'm hoping that some of your PC guys can weigh in on brands to seek and to avoid.

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
Re: PC People, I need advice!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 12:44:50 PM »
Custom Build. Don't look back.

If you don't want to. Dell has deals going on for Christmas.
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline willy35

• www.broceliande-serigraphie.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 01:14:44 PM »
Dual boot on MAC, and install windows. Mac use intel, so it is windows friendly.

But when it comes to buy a PC, I prefer to assemble mine as well.
www.broceliande-serigraphie.com
San Gen Shugi - real place (Gen-ba), real part (Gen-butsu), reality (Gen-jitsu)

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 01:56:13 PM »
Might help to add what you are upgrading from ie: processor,etc

This will give a better idea of what constitutes an upgrade without throwing tons of money at it.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 03:20:04 PM »
I'd ask, what brought about the decision that it's time to upgrade? Can't keep up with the current Wilcom software?
Chadwick's suggestion to tell us what you now have is a good one.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 03:45:07 PM »
Go the Pierre route and buy a thinkstation.  Swap out the HD for an SSD and call it a day. Maybe add some RAM.  Some of them here are 6 years old and still flying.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 04:19:07 PM »
Go the Pierre route and buy a thinkstation.  Swap out the HD for an SSD and call it a day. Maybe add some RAM.  Some of them here are 6 years old and still flying.

for workhorses, we have been using Lenovo Thinkstations. As Brad says, they have been rock solid for years.
For cheap floor systems we go to Microcenter and buy the $99 useded Dell systems. Generally have to replace them every two years But since they are running only one piece of software, it's not a big deal.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 10:18:16 AM »

for workhorses, we have been using Lenovo Thinkstations. As Brad says, they have been rock solid for years.
For cheap floor systems we go to Microcenter and buy the $99 useded Dell systems. Generally have to replace them every two years But since they are running only one piece of software, it's not a big deal.

pierre

Which is exactly what our embroidery computer is.  I think we're going on 3 years, but that system was $199 I think.

I don't like installing new computers where the software has a key, I've had the key not work on re-installs and then get billed $75 for tech support(Film Maker).  Dongles are usually fine in a swap.

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 07:07:45 PM »
I'm using an HP Pavilion laptop with minimal everything.. so anything is going to be an upgrade.

The system is just overall too slow, always has been. It's an unreasonable solution for in-house digitizing. I don't mind spending money on a good product but I do mind wasting money. So I'm hearing that a Thinkstation would be good purchase or a refurbished Dell?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 07:46:20 PM »
I'm using an HP Pavilion laptop with minimal everything.. so anything is going to be an upgrade.

The system is just overall too slow, always has been. It's an unreasonable solution for in-house digitizing. I don't mind spending money on a good product but I do mind wasting money. So I'm hearing that a Thinkstation would be good purchase or a refurbished Dell?

I generally get refurbished or open box Thinkstations. Lenovo has an outlet center where you can find a deal every now and then. They are also available on ebay.
Check out microcenter.com too. They will not have Thinkstations, but will have a decent selection of refurbs.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 08:33:54 PM »

I generally get refurbished or open box Thinkstations. Lenovo has an outlet center where you can find a deal every now and then. They are also available on ebay.
Check out microcenter.com too. They will not have Thinkstations, but will have a decent selection of refurbs.

pierre

I'll second that.   Bought a Lenovo unit for our RIP station and it's very stable running win10 and was a good buy for the spec.