Author Topic: localized scorch?  (Read 864 times)

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
localized scorch?
« on: December 01, 2017, 02:30:26 PM »
run of 30 hoodies. PFP. roughly 10 are scorched under the print area ONLY about a 4" circle (full size platens, quartz flash 3 sec at 60%, gas dryer) has us scratching our heads.
we burn garments sometimes (a little less once we familiarized ourselves with the power settings on the quartz) but it's usually the edge or in the middle - what happens to make a specific area overheat like that??

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: localized scorch?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 04:35:06 PM »
We've had that happen to us with light grey shirts, wish I had an answer for you but if you get an answer I'll get one too.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
Re: localized scorch?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »
Those heather greys/charcoals scorch like crazy, we've started running them with an IR flash now. We usually found the scorch was in areas not glued down to the platen. I guess the platen acts as a heat-sink when the shirt is adhered to it. I'm not sure how that relates to the problem you see on those shirts as you'd think the area you saw scorch on is where they'd be glued down. We shorten flash time and raise the flashes when we have to use quartz flashes on those colors of shirts, and make sure our pace is steady and doesn't speed up, sometimes speeding up like during a print finish cycle is enough to start scorching.
Wishin' I was Fishin'