Author Topic: Air dry ink  (Read 1227 times)

Offline JmanRT

• Verified/Junior
Air dry ink
« on: November 14, 2017, 10:23:39 PM »
Hey I️ was wondering if anyone is running air dry ink for printing tags. Wondering if there are good options for running a rapid tag with no dryer strictly for tags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremiah - Production manager at Real Thread

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Air dry ink
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 10:30:57 PM »
Print pretty fast and have lots of table, shelves, or work space where you can set sheets while they dry.

I have used air dry ink for bumper stickers (12 to 15 up).  I found it kind of messy and a bit hectic in the working speed required before it dried in the screen.  Cleanup is stronger chemicals than press wash.

I used Nazdar inks for air dry and you will need a gallon of Reducer to slow down the drying while you're printing.

Once printed, the air dry is pretty quick.

Emulsion has to be chemical resistant.  Vacuum pallet would help too.  That's about all the comes to mind.

Good Luck
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 10:48:24 AM »
A cheapo used american cameo or similar style press would be ideal, they can be found for under a thou easy. You don't have to use "solvent" inks to get it done, there are waterbased inks from TW that would work great. The thing about this though is that you would probably want to print sheets and you would need the tags to be die cut afterwards. If you have precut tags, that could also work, but I would recommend one of the smaller presses, like a 13x18. I would recommend against singles though since the lack of extra sheet to keep it held down on the table could lead to it sticking to the underside, ink webbing, or just not so great printing.

You can also dry them like a shirt with most inks at around 200F iirc. I just use the traditional drying racks (which can also be found for 250-500 or free if you get lucky) when I print flatstock.

Ryonet claims that you can use their waterbased ink on paper too, I think. Paper can be pretty easy compared to shirts IMO.

I have a little cameo that I roll up to the end of the dryer for single color stuff sometimes, so there's that too.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 02:50:05 PM »
Good to know there are other options than solvent based.  They are a bit of a pain to work with.  ;)
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers