Author Topic: Backing for Patches - What is your go to?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline NTZ-Deanna

• Verified/Junior
Backing for Patches - What is your go to?
« on: November 15, 2017, 01:27:43 PM »
I'm new in the Patch World  - I have been creating Patches using PS Poly Twill - getting a great finish, however I keep going back to what is the proper backing material. 

I prefer to precut my poly twill patch on my plotter and avoiding a hot knife - I feel it provides a cleaner finish.   With that said I generally stray away from Tear Away Backing because I don't care for the fibers showing on the satin edge of the patch. 

I've used Madeira Badge Master (expensive and it's technically solvy which has me a bit torn), Misc Plastic Bags (generally free and it's technically recycling right) and Madeira Tear Away Backing. 

What is your go to backing for Patches and why?
Deanna Smith
N the Zone Ink
(541) 728-9663  Deanna@ntzink.com

Differentiate Yourself With Your Quality

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Backing for Patches - What is your go to?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 03:35:41 PM »
Could something like these work for your purpose?
mooseman
https://www.stadriemblems.com/products/blank-patches/
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline NTZ-Deanna

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 11:25:15 AM »
Thanks! I'll keep these in mind for other projects for sure- but the patches I'm looking to do would be very custom so I want to be able to create the whole patch in house.

Deanna Smith
N the Zone Ink

Offline Pangea

• !!!
  • Jack of all trades, master of none.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 02:38:13 PM »
I'm having similar issues.

Have you had any experience using the tear wash away for patches? That was my next experiment since it sounds like a hybrid that might work. If I end up trying it out I'll let you know.

Offline NTZ-Deanna

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 04:54:52 PM »
I'm having similar issues.

Have you had any experience using the tear wash away for patches? That was my next experiment since it sounds like a hybrid that might work. If I end up trying it out I'll let you know.

Where do you purchase the "tear wash away? product? 
Deanna Smith
N the Zone Ink

Offline Pangea

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 11:56:27 AM »
http://www.madeiramart.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=ezeebacking.detail&productgroup_id=592

I just picked up some Vilene Water Soluble from my supplier this morning to try out. Hopefully I'll be able to run some tests today.

Offline Pangea

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 02:00:10 PM »
I just wanted to add in my newest solution:

Swing by your local hardware store and pick up some .7 mil drop cloth.

Double it up in the hoop, run your outline then zig zag the fabric in before doing the center stitches and finally the satin border. (My fabric is stabilized using heat and seal light hold then laser cut. I also use spray adhesive to position the fabric in the hoop.)

The patch will pop right out of the plastic and, if there's any plastic still showing, you can hit it with a heat gun to melt it.

After that I apply my heat and seal iron on backing and it's good to go. This works for my little pe770 so it should work even better with a proper commercial embroidery machine.