Author Topic: Kinda like rhinestones  (Read 1175 times)

Offline redwoodtees

Kinda like rhinestones
« on: November 20, 2017, 04:06:53 PM »
I'm not sure what category to put this message in, because I don't know how this garment was created. That is, actually, my question: How was this garment created? It looks like rhinestones, but instead of rhinestones you have little soft fabric balls. Anyone familiar with this?

Offline ThePrinter

• Verified/Junior
Re: Kinda like rhinestones
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 04:23:37 PM »
It looks like caviar beads to me. Here is a youtube video that came up after a search "apparel caviar beads"    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hg6MPf2R5c so you can see a process of how one person does it.

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 04:30:02 PM »
To uniform for the beads and with the perfect outline.

It is most likely beaded sequins sewn down with an embroidery machine in a line.

You could look at the inside to see the stitch pattern, but a feed mechanism feeds the beads down and sews them on in line.

ZSK had some fancy applicators like this at a trade show, seems like a whole lot of trouble, unless your customer base would like something like this on a regular basis.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 05:34:24 PM »
Zane's got it.

Caviar beads are far more random in their application.  And much more haphazard....
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline redwoodtees

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 05:51:52 PM »
Thanks.. I was too stupid to look at the inside of the garment... I will check it out more closely next time I am in the area.  I don't think it's something I would ever want to get into doing, but I am still curious about how it's done.

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 07:41:01 PM »
but I am still curious about how it's done.

I my friend, love special effects.  I don't think it's ever worth the investment unless you can make a major upsell (which never really works), and they are all a headache to achieve and slow the production, but the results can be cool, and work great in countries where labor is cheap, and lead times are 45+ days.

Here is a Barudun with a sequins attachment running - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XATn9lk4u7A

I have a SuperDry shirt that has instead of a sequins or beads or balls, a "knotted rope" that is sewn down to the shirt with a walking stitch.  Looks similar to a chain stitch, but is SuperDry is the king of special effect.

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 02:04:27 PM »
Just because it's one of my favorite shirts, here is the applied "yarn"

pretty cool effect, somehow they have no backing as well, wash away maybe?  But there was none when I got the shirt and the fabric didn't really seam pre washed.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 09:55:49 AM »
Different forms of Chenille