Author Topic: Art Gradient Boxes  (Read 1144 times)

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
Art Gradient Boxes
« on: November 28, 2017, 06:07:55 PM »
Anyone know what the hell makes gradient boxes like this? It drives me nuts.  Then we have to go in and assign a spot color to each gradient, but I can't select all gradients and make them the new spot color swatch as they all are different. So you have to do 200 boxes all separately.

We build all our art as the actual object, not some random box set over top.
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Re: Art Gradient Boxes
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 06:35:13 PM »
Looks like conversion from colored to black only. Ungroup or un combine them. Maybe. Depending on ai or cdr or how created.

Shane

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 08:20:54 AM »
 I would copy and paste that sucker into Photoshop at 100% print size and 300 resolution.  Then adjust levels to burn out the gradients and leaving the solid area as one color and the gradients copied over into a new channel as another color.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 10:07:21 AM »
What Dan said, sometimes it's just faster in Photoshop, and looks just as good. Also, I've tried Vector First Aid from Astute Graphics on some files like this. It fixes some, but not all, I'm not sure why, and too busy to dig in and figure it out.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline NTZ-Deanna

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 10:43:07 AM »
All of those boxes is what happens when a Gradient has been "expanded" in illustrator.  My experience with Illustrator and Film is that you never want to expand those gradients and if they already are...you may need to rebuild them via Illustrator or Photoshop.  Perhaps you can go back to an original artwork file and find them before they were expanded.  :-\
Deanna Smith
N the Zone Ink
(541) 728-9663  Deanna@ntzink.com

Differentiate Yourself With Your Quality

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 09:10:29 AM »
If using Corel, don't combine them, as this will change all the different gradients
to a single gradient across the image, which of course will change the art significantly.
Grouping them would be the way to go here if you need to stay in vector.
( I imagine it's similar in Illy? )

That said, I agree with everyone about exporting to photoshop.
If you're familiar with it, you'll save alot of time on this particular image.

Expanded gradients..always wondered why some files looked like this.
I don't bother with Illustrator much.
Thanks Deanna.