Author Topic: Farmers Market  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Catnhat

Farmers Market
« on: April 29, 2011, 12:10:32 PM »
It's rare that we ever get anything over 4-5 colors and even rarer still when the customer has a budget that allows for outside art or seps.
But then the inevitable happens....and it turns into a PITA!

Seps went to Dan.  Who did a great job.   
6 color, set up for all kinds of shirt colors.  Customer basically picked all the new colors Gildan came out with and then some.
Set the job up Wed. morning start running (all manual).  Literally get less than a doz. shirts into it, and it's going great. 
Customer happens to "stop by to see how things are going"......you know, the first sign that things are going to go BAD.

Sees the shirts coming off the dryer........(I could tell by her face my day was about to be ruined)
Her- "the red farmer doesn't look right.  It's supposed to be a specific red"
WTF?!
John (the boss) starts digging through notes/emails/etc. to see if we'd missed something.....everything stops....calls go out to the artist....you know, general chaos.
Find out it's supposed to be Red 187-C.  (no where in anything we have was this even mentioned)  The original art used Red 032-C.  Which is what Dan used for the seps and what I was printing with.
Then she pipes up "and I think I want to change the words and the border on the dark shirts so it shows up more"
Now, this is something Dan had brought up originally, we called the customer, was told no do everything the same, so we had Dan do everything with the black words/border.

I'm about ready to smack her upside the head with a gallon of ink.  Knowing this job has to be finished by Thursday morning at the latest so it can come off the press, or the rest of my weeks production is Fu****!

So...go back in and create a bump plate for the farmer.  Decide to just reburn the black plate and do some creative taping to give some of the shirts an Ath. Gold outline.
Order replacement shirts for the ones that are now apparently messed up with the "wrong red".

Anyways.....this is how it turned out.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Farmers Market
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 03:18:02 PM »
AH HA!  I had a sneaky suspicion that the border was going to be an issue. It's typical of someone that doesn't realize how they are effecting the print by changing it to different garment colors.

187 would not have worked so well (with those limited colors) because I needed a bright red to blend to make other good colors.
Sometimes to do something in production (on a specific press) requires the use of colors that are outside what what ever PMS colors they think it should be.

The artist where I used to work had always called out specific PMS reds (like 6 of them) in one design. Then would argue with the print shop because the sample wasn't with correct pms color matches.  HAHA. kids.

I can't see the printer detail well with the pic. Can you get a better/ more clear snap shot?  Over all, it does have all of the color tones going except maybe needed more of a grape color with heavier blue and.or a brighter red....but this pic looks like it had the brighter red in it.  Did she stay with the bright red? Did you use that process blue?  It's a good job from a manual press. This job on a manual was difficult.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:29:30 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Chadwick

Re: Farmers Market
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 07:18:14 PM »
I've been trying to put it to words...something like
" we do our best to produce an excellent product, regardless of our customer's input "
 :P ( not quite there yet, haha )

'Good' to know people are a pain in the butt everywhere you go.
Sorry for your grief, but it looks good.
Cheers.