Author Topic: my dog ate plastisol  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Bearded Lady

• Verified/Junior
my dog ate plastisol
« on: December 04, 2017, 11:33:09 AM »
I've been fostering a dog for the past couple of months. I left her alone in my shop on friday and came back to find her looking like she'd smeared red lipstick all over her face.  Apparently I had left a bucket of Union Ink Maxopake Red on the floor with the lid off and she decided to eat some. I have no idea how much.

Although it looked hilarious I've been kind of worried about what it could do to her.  She's had a couple of bright red poops over the weekend.  She's eating and drinking, going on walks, etc.  She's been making some gag/ coughing sounds a little bit.  I looked up the safety data sheet and doesn't seem like it would be that harmful.

I'll be calling my vet later today but figured someone on this forum must have had a similar experience, so thought I'd throw it out there.

Anyone else have a pet eat plastisol?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: my dog ate plastisol
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 12:03:30 PM »
That reminds me of the  kitty my wife had got, she bottle fed this little cat and she always brought her to the shop until she was big enough to stay home by her self, but anyway one day she had to run out and left the kitty with me in the shop.  The last words she told me was don't let me kitty get into those inks you got open, I bet you she was not gone 15 minutes and that cat was red from head to toe, I took that little kitty over to the wash out sink and washed the hell out that cat and used the the blow dryer on her before she got back, nosy animals and shops don't mix ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 02:42:55 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 02:12:11 PM »
I wouldn't be too concerned. The worst part is getting the ink off of them. I'm guessing it doesn't taste good because none of my dogs ever seemed to have eaten much. More so stuck their face in it and taken a taste. They seem to learn to stay away from the ink pretty quickly. But no, none of my dogs have gotten sick from it. I'd just keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't seem like there's anything wrong. 

Offline Robert Clark

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 02:38:47 PM »
I just checked with a couple of people here. I would not be to concerned, but just keep an eye on your puppy for a few days.
 It might be compared to drinking dark beer and eating taco bell or white castles @ 2 AM
Robert Clark
One Stroke Inks
Senior Account Manager
rclark@osinks.com
(800)942-4447

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 03:09:55 PM »
Plastisol ink is Non-Toxic.

You can actually take a bite if you want....

Your tummy will hate you, but you can do it.

Your dog is gona be uncomfortable for a couple days, but otherwise should be fine.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.