Author Topic: large shop auction  (Read 3195 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: large shop auction
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 08:45:46 AM »
Call me crazy, but I don't know how I could reliably bid on anything without knowing the print count or any sort of usage statistics.  That plays such a huge role in the value.

If you were close to the auction could you go look at everything first?  Was is powered on even?

Buying used stuff is hard enough, you really need to get your ducks in a row to know what your getting is a good deal.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 11:08:49 AM »
Someone have an account already on that and able to tell me current price of the 2x 14 color Challenger III's? and end of auction date?

Can't see much without an account but I'm not going to put in my CC info when I'm unlikely to pursue this with so many unknowns (print count, how is registration? etc).   

The auction ended on Tuesday. They also don't supply that information (print count/reg - although the reg. shouldn't be an issue on the c3). They sold in the $60s.

Thanks for the info.  I wasn't really considering buying used and unseen but the idea of upgrading to 14 colors (and blocking one color with the beam in the center of the warehouse where we are now - moving in a year) wasn't out of the question for the end of this year.

FYI, the reg was an issue (and still is a little bit) on our CH3 we bought used (made in 2010, bought late 2013).  Immediately replaced the forks, bearings, even sent in and upgraded all of the front frame holders to be more solid but still aren't getting perfect registration with a Challenger 3.  Have had a few techs look at it and we can't find anything, except when we print.  Other press is fine.  Still a great fast press but we won't be taking it with us when we move.

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 12:43:54 PM »
Our CHIII went off without a hitch...

Loved moving that machine, so easy.  Electronic clips at each head simplified it. the tolerances on that machine were impressive.

Also the reg forks never came off. Arms and heads come off, but reg system stays in place.

Running an auto reg every few weeks has led us to perfect reg from day one...

Based on my experience, I would buy used from an auction again.  Best part about M&R is parts are easily available, you can fix anything on them, and their service is top notch.  If you are handy with machines, you can get some great deals.

My 2C