Author Topic: Fusion 180  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Fusion 180
« on: December 07, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »
Has anyone used Fusion 180 ink?

Says to: "The ink cures at 240° for 40 seconds or at 450° for 4 seconds with a flash"

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Fusion 180
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 01:20:39 PM »
I wonder what happens if you use it for a base, but other brand inks that need a higher cure temp. on top? Will it take the extra heat? Or does one need to buy the whole line?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 02:03:02 PM »
I wonder what happens if you use it for a base, but other brand inks that need a higher cure temp. on top? Will it take the extra heat? Or does one need to buy the whole line?

Steve

Good question. It's a pretty significant difference in temps.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 02:29:44 PM »
it kind of seems like a waste to do that?

like if you are running at full temp, why not just use other inks?

Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 07:32:21 PM »
it kind of seems like a waste to do that?

like if you are running at full temp, why not just use other inks?

Obviously I’m not the person who mentioned it but my guess would be for a super quick flash, and less cool down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheGhost

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 08:14:28 PM »
It is interesting stuff. It also cures at normal temp just fine but doesn't stretch as well then. I think that's from the increased heat.

The white got to be like cement thick for us. They sell reducer to address it and seem to have reformulated it to be less thick very recently.

We only have used the fusion 180 white and black so far. Didn't like the black compared to our Synergy we use though. Fusion black cures too matte for me.

I saw they have a cotton white now too that cures at a bit higher temp than their main line of ink.

Definitely something to look into.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 12:20:16 AM »
Any other reviews on this stuff from anyone?

Offline Bearded Lady

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 01:46:10 PM »
I'm curious about this ink too.....anyone used it on nylon?

One of my movie set designer friends just asked me to rush a job printing 10 nylon jackets and I probably have the time. one color left chest/ one color back. Need to pull out my old jacket hold down and dust it off.  I have a flash and a very teeny vastex dryer.  can't decide if I should send them along to someone else or dive into it.  Movie/TV set designers n costume departments are usually flush with cash........

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »

One of my movie set designer friends just asked me to rush a job printing 10 nylon jackets and I probably have the time. one color left chest/ one color back. Need to pull out my old jacket hold down and dust it off.  I have a flash and a very teeny vastex dryer.  can't decide if I should send them along to someone else or dive into it.  Movie/TV set designers n costume departments are usually flush with cash........

Of course, Nylobond or similar additive will also allow lower temps with any plastisol
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Bearded Lady

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 12:57:07 PM »
I wound up taking the job.  I found a sample pint container of "series one" "NylonPlus White" dated 2006.  heheh.  worked fine.

Offline TheGhost

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 03:26:52 PM »
Ordering up a gallon of the newer white they have now. Anyone else care to chime in with more reviews? I'll post up another review soon.

Offline chubsetc

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 05:16:58 PM »

I have a sample and added nylobond (10% by weight if I remember right) to print nylon bags.  It turned into “concrete” in about 10 minutes and was not printable. 

Offline TheGhost

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 08:43:14 AM »

I have a sample and added nylobond (10% by weight if I remember right) to print nylon bags.  It turned into “concrete” in about 10 minutes and was not printable.

You added nylobond to an ink which advertises as being printable on nylon without that exact additive. Why did you do that?

Our first gallon (the old formulation) turned to thick cement as well, but we didn't add anything to it to cause that and it was after about a month and lots of hot days. We don't have air conditioning where we print either. I think the ink has something in it that evaporates out, but I'm just guessing. Hoping the reformulated version doesn't have that issue.

Our gallon of the newly formulated white will be coming in tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it does later next week.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 08:48:03 AM »
Traditionally being able to "be printed on nylon" means nylon athletics that have a more open weave for better bonding.

The more closed off the weave is/higher denier, the more you need a bonding agent.  I.e. Nylobond.

The reason for your ink turning into a brick:  Low cure inks have a lower flash point.  That flash point/gell temp can end up being your room temp during the day, if you work in a hot environment. 

Low Cure chemistry is not simple.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 09:34:44 AM »
another 2 cents about nylon, from my experience.
1. Nylobond or similar additives both catalyze the plastisol ink, and help adhesion to water repellant type nylon like umbrellas and windbreakers. It should not be needed on the few nylon jerseys we may see. (though, over the years, I have been told that "dazzles" benefit)
2. Heat seal films do require a special adhesive for nylon jerseys.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?