Author Topic: Base for glitter flake?  (Read 1155 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Base for glitter flake?
« on: December 11, 2017, 12:24:23 PM »
Had a client do a handful of shirts using a glitter heat transfer vinyl, now wants a few hundred of the same design and look.  Cutting and weeding that many is a no go, so I am looking to screen print them.  Of course, the job is a rush so I cant source and test a premade ink, but I can source the flake locally.  Can I just use a process clear base or maybe add the flake to some crystalina I already have in the shop to "tint" it the right color?  Do I need some kind of glitter specific base?  The only glitter printing I've done using flake has been on glass and paper, and for those I used a specific base...

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Base for glitter flake?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 12:37:41 PM »
Specific base, it has to "dive" in when curing to expose the flake for maximum glitter.

Be certain that the glitter you can get locally is the right size. We were sent the wrong particle
size once and nearly lost my mind trying to figure out why it wouldn't clear.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »
and for mesh, my experience has been 16 - 36. We've overprinted silver glitter with transparent ink with modest results...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 02:35:36 PM »
Had a client do a handful of shirts using a glitter heat transfer vinyl, now wants a few hundred of the same design and look.  Cutting and weeding that many is a no go, so I am looking to screen print them.  Of course, the job is a rush so I cant source and test a premade ink, but I can source the flake locally.  Can I just use a process clear base or maybe add the flake to some crystalina I already have in the shop to "tint" it the right color?  Do I need some kind of glitter specific base?  The only glitter printing I've done using flake has been on glass and paper, and for those I used a specific base...

'never could get results anywhere near what vinyl cna deliver. Look up Stahl's and what it would cost to have them make the transfers.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 03:32:58 PM »
Good info.  No time for Stahl's at this point.  Flake color isn't a close enough match and client expectations are making this one tough.  Probably going to end up doing htv for this round.....ugh.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 03:43:47 PM »
There are some H20 based glitters that are amazing. Soft as all get out due the lack of pesky plastisol binders etc which makes them a bit shinier. You can tint silvers and golds with WB PCs