Author Topic: my Gildan box airplane  (Read 827 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
my Gildan box airplane
« on: December 15, 2017, 05:58:38 PM »
I have been building and flying RC aircaft for about 45 years, last year i got a wild hair to quick build a plane for an event my club was holding. We traditionally , as a club, all get together on new years day to fly whatever we can known in the hobby as  "first to fly". As this was a snap decision the only material i could get my hand on in short order was Gildan tee shirt boxes from sanmar

The plane was completely scratch built from some sketches I made up. The wing was  hot wire cut from foam building insulation the balance of the airplane was made out of Gildan cardboard boxes from SanMar shipments.
Wingspan was 60 inches, power was .40 CuIn nitro engine spinning a 10 inch diameter prop.
the pics below tell the rest of the story. Really is cardboard from sanMar.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline ffokazak

Re: my Gildan box airplane
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 07:23:27 PM »
Sweet! I love to fly ( crash) my corsair!

did this get up yet?

Very cool!

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 07:41:42 PM »
Yes it flew great right up to the point when the front dowels pulled out of the wing.
Fuselage went in at @ 30 degree angle like an arrow, wing floated down about 3 minutes later...it was so cool  ;D
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 07:59:53 PM »
Haha nice!

I bought my dad a plane for Christmas one year, and it was so fun I bought myself a few too!

Don't find the time much to fly anymore but it was a good time for sure!