Author Topic: STE ink staining Kiwo Multi-Tex... Anybody experience this?  (Read 3214 times)

Offline mikezincali

Re: STE ink staining Kiwo Multi-Tex... Anybody experience this?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 09:48:17 PM »
Hello All,

I've been very busy, but wanted to check back here while it's on my mind.

Dan, I tried rinsing the ink off as you suggested; same result. I had the pleasure of speaking with Dave today, the gentleman who oversees the lab for Kiwo in Texas. It turns out he was aware of this issue, and it has to do with the fact that I'm using pigment-based ink in my STE (Type K). The surface tension in this particular formula of Multi-Tex makes it prone to staining, when using pigment based ink.

He told me they have experimented with altering the surface tension in the emulsion to eliminate this problem, and he will send me a sample to test for myself.

In the interim, I will be using T9, as I prefer it's viscosity the the multi-tex I've been using. I believe I'm getting more EOM with the T9, as I am coating 1/1 (don't have time for 2/2). The multi-tex is approximately 58 percent thinner (10,000 mPal vs. 17,000 mPal) and it tends to drip when coating 50 mesh, 40 mesh, and 25 mesh. We do a lot of specialty prints, and cutting emulsion drips off with a razor to be able to use the STE is annoying when I'm pressed for time. Dave is sending me a sample of another, thicker formula which I will definitely try when I can.

My boss seems to understand we need to use what's best for our particular shop, and I believe he will allow me to test things properly before making any sudden changes in the future. That being said, I keep an open mind and will always be willing to try alternatives, schedule permitting.

I have to run. Hope everyone is well!

-Mike