Author Topic: clear quart containers  (Read 4573 times)

Offline IntegriTees

clear quart containers
« on: January 03, 2018, 11:30:17 AM »
I've been ordering the black containers (from GSG) since I started 14 years ago.  I see a lot of you guys using clear containers and it makes sense to be able to see the color inside. 
Where are you sourcing them from?  I'm guessing they have to withstand the ink over many years.

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
Re: clear quart containers
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 11:38:43 AM »
little on the pricey side, but QUALITY - been using these exclusively for years:

https://www.katom.com/144-RFS1PP190.html
cambro kitchen supplies they ARE clear, much nicer than they look in that pic.
matching lid works great (https://www.katom.com/144-RFSC1PP190.html).
pliable. decently priced (here only as I can find - $4 a pop elsewhere).

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 11:48:09 AM »
I have gotten mine from webstuarant.com  https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choicehd-32-oz-microwavable-translucent-plastic-deli-container-case/128HD32BULK.html

they're super cheap but I am actually going to switch over to the heavier duty ones you seem to have been using.

The problems with these is if you mix in the container on the side you just get a nice streaking mixture of all the colors mixed in. Not really helpful for a quick glance to find a color.

But more importantly, these can crack easily and if your mixing bit catches the side and grabs the container you end up with a nice Jackson Pollock painting on your wall.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 11:53:33 AM »

The problems with these is if you mix in the container on the side you just get a nice streaking mixture of all the colors mixed in. Not really helpful for a quick glance to find a color.

Something I've shared in Tips and Tricks here as well as other forums over the years, is the trick to apply a slight coating of clear base to any mixing container to  help from having critical components stick to the sides.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline rusty

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 12:13:03 PM »

[/quote]

Something I've shared in Tips and Tricks here as well as other forums over the years, is the trick to apply a slight coating of clear base to any mixing container to  help from having critical components stick to the sides.
[/quote]

Thanks. That's a great tip.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 01:04:42 PM »
I have gotten mine from webstuarant.com  https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choicehd-32-oz-microwavable-translucent-plastic-deli-container-case/128HD32BULK.html

they're super cheap but I am actually going to switch over to the heavier duty ones you seem to have been using.

But more importantly, these can crack easily and if your mixing bit catches the side and grabs the container you end up with a nice Jackson Pollock painting on your wall.
]
ugh! we use those and I don't remember when was the last time we broke one. It does happen once in a while, but only when we drop them or something like it.
We use small icing spatulas and mix by hand. No problems with ink colors streaking on the side or breaking. . .

pierre

p.s. we actually buy several different sizes (16,24 and 32 oz) to use depending on how much ink we have to mix.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 01:07:42 PM »
There are two different weights on the Delitainers, I think the ones linked are the lighter version, and more prone
to breaking. We found out the hard way, with  a couple abstract paintings of our own.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 01:09:05 PM »
There are two different weights on the Delitainers, I think the ones linked are the lighter version, and more prone
to breaking. We found out the hard way, with  a couple abstract paintings of our own.

yes, sorry, you are correct! We use the milky ones which are heavier duty. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Logowear

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 02:12:46 PM »
Specialty Stitches

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 03:57:25 PM »
All vaporlocks here and I source them in natural/clear from Rios Industries.   

What I'd really like is clear gallon vaporlocks but never had good luck finding those, just white.

When we were plasti only I liked the clear jars with the screw tops.  The vaporlock lids aren't necessary for plasti and are harder to get off.

Offline scrubz

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 04:02:48 PM »
I bought a case of the Uline clear plastics, thinking how great it would be to see the colors, learned the hard way that after a few weeks the inks start to harden on the sides.  The white versions of the same containers work great and don't congeal the ink.  I just make a smear on the side of the jar and cover with tape, then I still have the visible color.

Offline IntegriTees

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 04:45:32 PM »
Uline clear plastic round wide mouth jars.

https://www.uline.com/BL_8153/Clear-Plastic-Round-Wide-Mouth-Jars

yeah, i saw the Uline containers.  for $1.89, i thought was a steal.  They are made of Polystyrene.
Then I saw some on Ryonet than are "clearish" and they are made of Polyurethane for $2.99 per

decisions, decisions.

Offline IntegriTees

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 04:48:15 PM »
I bought a case of the Uline clear plastics, thinking how great it would be to see the colors, learned the hard way that after a few weeks the inks start to harden on the sides.  The white versions of the same containers work great and don't congeal the ink.  I just make a smear on the side of the jar and cover with tape, then I still have the visible color.

looks like those are made of Polypropylene,  wondering what the best plastic container is. 

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 04:55:39 PM »
Black ones here. They are kept immaculate with Pantone printed formulas so didn't need the clear. Think we're up to about 800 colors

Offline Bearded Lady

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 09:13:50 AM »
River City Graphic Supply sells the clear Qts for $3.  They look white on their website but they're clear. They last longer than the restaurant containers.  Have plenty of friends that use the restaurant containers though.  I prefer the black qts and pints from GSG.  the lids last longer and stay on better and they seem to preserve water based poster inks better.  I buy TW poster inks by the gallon so have plenty of that size to re-use.