Author Topic: What advice would you give to a screen-maker who doesn't print?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline print3r

• Verified/Junior
What advice would you give to a screen-maker who doesn't print?
« on: January 05, 2018, 12:58:15 AM »
Hi y'all. I'm the "screen technician" in a shirt warehouse & have never had any experience using an automatic press, nor do I think I will have very much soon.

I was hoping for some advice on the things I would only know if I were a printer. Here are some examples of things I've had to pick up about the printing process:

• Different ink viscosities (white ink is thick; black ink is thin)
  • Different meshes will have an effect on color (i.e. lower mesh UB = more white ink = brighter colors)
  • Different fabrics need to be printed upon differently (I always try to use higher meshes for polyester garments so the printers don't have to dump too much ink on them)
  • It's preferential for half-tones to have a thinner UB
  • It's best to not have to double-stroke half-tones because of dot gain and moire effects

What are some more factors that I could consider when making my screens?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: What advice would you give to a screen-maker who doesn't print?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 08:00:08 AM »
I would strongly advise that you get some cross training; even switching out printers to work in the screen room. Certainly ideal and everyone wins but thats just not always possible for unfortunate reasons.
best tp

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »
Tony is right...each shop is different and working to understand the needs of the printers and how you can help them improve would be hard for an outsider to do.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 09:07:30 AM »
No matter what someone teaches or shows you someone else will tell you it is wrong. Ultimately if you decide to print you will need to find your own way through the jungle of facts and fiction using some of the direction and lessons you learn along the way.

My suggestion is to first define your specific goal. Are you just print curious , are you looking to move up in the company you work for or are you thinking about starting your own business?
You threw out some common screen printing terms in your post but you have to educate yourself to understand what that actually means in terms of operating as a screen maker / printer

We are self taught and continue to learn every day. This board, youtube, trade books, google, are your best collection of information relative to your interest.
think of the screen printing information trail as a deck of playing cards, you set out to collect all 52, when you have them all you can then sort and arrange them in some logical way. Then you can use them to participate in a game called poker which involves an entire new level of learning using the cards you understand and how each card relates to other cards in your hand etc. Screen printing is a lot like poker, you have to understand all the tools and how using those tools in correct sequences delivers a winning hand.

Google "making a tee shirt screen"  select videos and head into the jungle.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline SEPSINK

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 09:27:25 AM »
Is the person doing your color separations calling the screen mesh or are you?
www.seps.ink Color Separations For Screen Printers

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 10:09:18 AM »
Hi y'all. I'm the "screen technician" in a shirt warehouse & have never had any experience using an automatic press, nor do I think I will have very much soon.

I was hoping for some advice on the things I would only know if I were a printer. Here are some examples of things I've had to pick up about the printing process:

• Different ink viscosities (white ink is thick; black ink is thin)
  • Different meshes will have an effect on color (i.e. lower mesh UB = more white ink = brighter colors)
  • Different fabrics need to be printed upon differently (I always try to use higher meshes for polyester garments so the printers don't have to dump too much ink on them)
  • It's preferential for half-tones to have a thinner UB
  • It's best to not have to double-stroke half-tones because of dot gain and moire effects

What are some more factors that I could consider when making my screens?

One more thing to add to your list is understanding how screen tension affects ink deposit. A lot of good information on this board about the topic. But in general keeping all screens at optimal tension levels is going to improve print outcomes. Also, mixed tension levels - some screens tight, some loose - will often cause problems, especially with registration.

Depending on exactly what your job entails, if your company uses retensionables, and you have flexibility to plan your own work flow, if you make it part of your routine to check & keep tension levels where they should be, you will make the printer's job easier and will improve the prints coming out of your shop.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 10:15:21 AM »
You need to learn to print so you'll know "why" you make screens one way or another. You need to actually do it, so you can internalize it... I don't think you need to run a press all day, but at least there for setting up and striking off.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 10:21:16 AM »
I especially like the post from Moose........once you understand the game you'll know each hand requires different strategies ;)

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 08:00:09 AM »
I wish all my employees had this much initiative.

You can only measure what you track. I recommend keeping a digital log of any issues you have (excel spreadsheet) and reviewing it frequently to document / improve the process. Record some basic information about any job that has issues:
* Job #
* Customer name
* Date
* Printer
* Auto/Manual (if applicable)
* Print location
* Print color
* Mesh count
* Issue Category
* Detailed description of issue
* Resolution
* Lost time
* How to prevent issue in future

I agree that they should cross train you on how to print at least on a manual. You will accelerate your learning!
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 08:03:45 AM »
Also I would recommend using a 21 step stouffer calculator. Tape it to your glass so it's always there.

Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 10:53:02 AM »
You need to learn to print so you'll know "why" you make screens one way or another. You need to actually do it, so you can internalize it... I don't think you need to run a press all day, but at least there for setting up and striking off.

Steve

And printers need to learn the basics of how to stretch, clean, coat, and expose screens.
Then they know why I want to slap them when they hand me an ink splattered frame with damaged mesh they wrecked on press.  :)

Really though, learning more facets of the process will only improve your screens. 
I'd advise getting into the art and positives side as well, if you get bad positives you will not make good screens from them.