Poll

Discharge or straight water based on light pink/sky/orange?

Discharge
4 (80%)
Water based
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Discharge cool grey  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Pangea

• !!!
  • Jack of all trades, master of none.
Discharge cool grey
« on: January 05, 2018, 12:56:02 PM »
I just got an order for some light pink, sky and orange tees with a print using cool grey 9. The main reason the customer came to me to, possibly, replace their current printer is because I run water based/discharge ink and they want a nice thin print.

Would you guys run this with discharge ink or stick with a straight water based?

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Discharge cool grey
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 01:40:10 PM »
Assuming that the shirts will all discharge, won't that always result in a thinner print with softer hand?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Pangea

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 03:05:51 PM »
That makes sense to me, I don't print gray too often and never think about that color being more of a white then black ink.

They have a B rating on the Gildan discharge chart so they should be fine. Thanks!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 03:32:48 PM »
Straight WB would actually give a softer hand. Activator can add a bit of stiffness, though usually negligible.

Cool grays can actually be kind of tough. Reason being that you are essentially discharging all the way to greige
and then dyeing back to cool gray. And greige tens to be warm, particularly on your pink and orange.

Either route you'll want max pigment load.

Offline Pangea

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 09:59:57 PM »
In the long term will it? In my experience after washing the "crust" from discharge disappears but straight wb is forever.

What do you mean by "max pigment load"? I plan on following the Matsui CMS for the color match and that's a very exact ratio (white to black pigment). If you're referring to activation rate what percentage would you suggest?