Author Topic: tips for removing very old spray adhesive from platens?  (Read 928 times)

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
tips for removing very old spray adhesive from platens?
« on: January 05, 2018, 03:23:40 PM »
the previous printers on our machine used aerosol spray tac.
they eventually cut their platen tape smaller and smaller and an edge of fuzzy old adhesive is stuck on every board.
we use tape and water-based adhesive carded on, but trying to get the old edge off - and tips for removal? 842 and elbow grease and 1 hour = still not a clean platen

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: tips for removing very old spray adhesive from platens?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 03:45:00 PM »
before we used pallet paper we cleaned the  off with screen opener and then used a little blue plastic squeegee that came with something...lol  or the end of a paint stick.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 11:43:37 PM »
I think screen opener usually contains carbon tetra chloride which is pretty aggressive stuff.   

I think I'd try Lacquer Thinner or Acetone first as they are not air sprayed to keep down the exposure to Carbon Tet.

Just my 2c.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 10:03:47 AM »
have a look at Tekmar TB-AR  Orange,
we use this to cut goo from tape on roller frames, and various other tape - adhesive issues. Works great and is basically safe to you.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 11:42:58 AM »
Or you could just re-rubber the tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pbdb

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 03:42:57 PM »
I had this issue with the platens on my Workhorse.  I heated the platen up with the flash and used a razor blade to scrape the glue off.  Then cleaned up the remaining residue with some press wash.  If I were doing this on my auto...i'd look for a plastic razor blade.  Wouldn't want to scuff the rubber top..

Scott

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 04:36:14 PM »
I tried literally everything on mine before finding a product called rapid remover. It's available from River City Graphics. Tried everything from mineral spirits to acetone to Simple Green