Author Topic: Industry Standards  (Read 900 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Industry Standards
« on: January 10, 2018, 10:35:19 AM »
Hi All, looking for some help with some time studies we are doing in the beginning of this year. I'm looking at trying to understand some pretty simple things, but just need some clarification.

right now, we are recording data for our press set up, run, and tear down. I've read some data, and have found a suggested industry average of 6 mins per screen, for set up. My Question is, what goes into that set up? Is that from the time it's taped, to the time it's running production? Or is it simply screen prep, and placement on the press with inks/squeegees/flood bars?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline zanegun08

Re: Industry Standards
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 11:06:32 AM »
I interpret this as a "5" minute per screen goal from the time the press is empty from the previous job, to when you first touch the next order.

So when you first touch the next order, if you have a two color job, the first approved shirts should be coming down the belt in 10 minutes.  Running the job, not just a strike off.

I always see this as a goal, because when you do your time study like I've done you may see that you are nowhere near this on some jobs, and some you are under, so it becomes an average for the day / month / year.  I also found that we had a wide variance depending on the lead printer on the press.

This is always a goal, I think it's a like drink 5 gallons of water a day type thing, where you'll never achieve it in practice, some people online will tell you that they setup jobs in 2 minutes per screen, never touch a micro, but when they look in the mirror they know they are living a lie.

Offline jupmode

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 12:03:33 PM »
How are you recording the information? Do you rely on the operators or a supervisor to track the data? Are they manually writing it down or do you have another system?

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 12:52:15 PM »
teardown should be less than 30 sec per head. we just let it co-exist with setup times when that happens.
setup time = as the press was -> put in screens, triloc it, put in squee and flood, adjust squee and flood and all head settings, add ink, test print, micro, strike off approved.  divide by # of screens used.

we used to make the mistake of basing prices off our times (was fine when you run a manual - not much more to eke out).
don't do that - set your prices off of what it SHOULD be, adjust your understanding of schedule time and profit for what it IS. and then work to close the gap.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 01:02:15 PM »
How are you recording the information? Do you rely on the operators or a supervisor to track the data? Are they manually writing it down or do you have another system?

We currently are manually entering this into a sheet. But the press assistants are working with the press ops, for every job to record all the info.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285