Author Topic: Interchange AirJet Opinions  (Read 3086 times)

Offline 1964GN

Interchange AirJet Opinions
« on: January 13, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »
We have a opportunity to get a very new, lightly used AirJet. 8' in, 12' tunnel, 8 out, and a fancy control panel. Anyone have an experience with it, or the company that would care to offer their opinions? We would also be interested in how it compares to a Sprint 3000.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Re: Interchange AirJet Opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 01:09:11 PM »
Can't speak for the dryer itself, other than I've heard good reviews from the people who own them. However, Interchange is located 2 miles from my shop and they are excellent people. Last I heard they are installing some of their equipment at the Tesla facilities for their solar panel department.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 04:07:36 PM »
I have little to compare it to, but we had one at the last shop I was at, and it was very much set it & forget it. Running a Gauntlet as fast we could, we still rarely used more than half the belt. (Though you didn't mention dryer width, your other dims sound about the same as what we had.) Never had cure issues on plastisol at that shop. We did very little WB, so I can't provide much info there. On the very rare occasion we used WB for golf towels, we slowed the belt down, and ran them through twice. (But again, we did WB so rarely we didn't have to come up with a "best practice" for that.) We didn't do much fashion blends then, as the trend was just starting. But for standard t-shirts, we just turned the dryer on in the morning & didn't think about it until we went home. Routine maintenance was minimal, too.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline shaneds

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 10:28:50 AM »
We have the same dims as your asking about in our shop. Currently running an Airjet (I believe early 2000's mfg) and a 2017 Roqbelt Dryer.  Your gas consumption will be higher on the Airjet than the Sprint 3000, no question. Also the tech on a 3000 is superior to an Airjet, however your paying for that technology.  Those dims are great for plastisol or waterbase/discharge, just adjust the belt speed or temp accordingly.  Airjets are tanks, and Interchage support has been great in our experience. We've owned for approx 5 years and have had to do very little repairs. Just follow and schedule your preventative maintenance on it and they just keep on going.  Actually you said fancy control panel on the newer models, so tech might not be too far off to what were used to. I'm comparing a 15 year old model to a brand new model of dryer, hence the difference in tech.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 11:16:43 AM »
we've had an issue with an older, used MD-8 that took several years to correct. It would come up randomly and wreak havoc on production. Nobody could figure out what the problem was. Eventually, we found out it had a burner twice the size they normally come with and everything has been smooth sailing since. When they run they run like clockwork!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »
Thanks for the comments so far. This would be a 60" belt.

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 03:04:29 PM »
  We've been running a 60" older one for 15 years now.  Replaced a starter rod
a mac valve on the tracker and that's it. You can cure anything in it and runs forever.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 04:02:05 PM »
Any one with a newer one that can tell us how cool the skin is, or isn't?

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 10:13:03 AM »

We have a 2012 MD8 with 12' of heat and 60" belt.  It doesn't get too hot, though it is not as cool as the only 3000 I have touched while running.  I have no experience with an airjet so unfortunately this might not be all that helpful.

If I can quickly piggyback, does anyone know where one can source the flamerods and ignitor for an MD8?  Interchange adds a nice markup to their parts.  The ignitor looks to be the Maxon 23739, but I cannot locate any identifying numbers on the flamerods to find a source for them.

Offline shaneds

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 11:19:58 AM »

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 12:04:15 PM »
We have a distributor of parts about 25 minutes from our office.  I can't remember exactly how I found them but I think that Maxon lists their distributors on their website.

Actually, here you go:
https://maxoncorp.com/contact-usa/

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 01:06:04 PM »

We have a 2012 MD8 with 12' of heat and 60" belt.  It doesn't get too hot, though it is not as cool as the only 3000 I have touched while running.  I have no experience with an airjet so unfortunately this might not be all that helpful.

If I can quickly piggyback, does anyone know where one can source the flamerods and ignitor for an MD8?  Interchange adds a nice markup to their parts.  The ignitor looks to be the Maxon 23739, but I cannot locate any identifying numbers on the flamerods to find a source for them.

I've found them on ebay before and they were pretty cheap ($25 or so). controls central has them for about $65. Modle you are looking for is 18117N FLAME ROD. I tried the versions without N in the end and was not having much luck, but that could be because of the issues with the dryer at the time. N's always worked fine.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
Also, you can cut them to length.  That may be part of why interchange up charges for them.

I have found them online pretty cheap too.  I keep 2 extra plugs and 2-3 flame rods on hand.  The only time we've replaced ours is when the threads get stripped out.  The thing burns so well that it hardly pits the rods at all.  The polish right up and look brand new.

I seriously think in 9 years I've replaced 3 rods and 1 plug.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 01:20:23 PM »
Also, you can cut them to length.  That may be part of why interchange up charges for them.

I have found them online pretty cheap too.  I keep 2 extra plugs and 2-3 flame rods on hand.  The only time we've replaced ours is when the threads get stripped out.  The thing burns so well that it hardly pits the rods at all.  The polish right up and look brand new.

I seriously think in 9 years I've replaced 3 rods and 1 plug.
we had one that was longer than the other.

pierre

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 04:49:42 PM »
Thanks guys!  Just placed an order at burner parts.  After 5 years we will be replacing them for the first time.