Author Topic: Fastest you’ve ever done a job?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline merchmonster

Fastest you’ve ever done a job?
« on: January 19, 2018, 07:09:56 AM »
A lot of guys talk about speed on press, but for me I’m more interested in how fast we can push a job into production. And we’ve added equipment that helps us achieve that - CTS, dtg, vinyl cutter.

Yesterday customer walked into my shop at 1pm with 10 reversible jerseys and 20 poly sport packs, to be decorated by 3:30pm same day. And we had to finish by 3:30 because we had 5:30 flight to Long Beach for iss and are closed today. 20 team names and numbers in vinyl on 2 sides of the jersey, 10 2 color screen prints on the front of the jersey. Customer also wanted 3 color screen print of a different logo on the 20 sport packs but I talked him into 1 color vinyl transfer. With a hard deadline of 2.5 hrs to do the work.

These guys were in town from Brazil for a 1 week hoops camp with the warriors which had already started and I felt bad for them because their jerseys had gotten delayed in transit from under armor due to weather issues. So i said yeah let’s give it a shot and we’ll see if we can pull it off for you. I wasn’t 100% sure we could do it.

And we banged it out in 2.5 hours from scratch - ghetto proofs, setup the vinyl and cut it, weeded it, applied, made  seps, screens, register on press and print. And we lost about 15 mins because my designer was at lunch when I took the order.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:12:06 AM by merchmonster »
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Fastest you’ve ever done a job?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 09:39:11 AM »
A little under 2 hours start to finish is about the best I've done on a real job involving screen printing. Call at 8:00 opening from a guy on his way to Japan for a business meeting, and wanting to take some gifts. He had a flight at noon. Saw that I advertised
Rush Jobs a Specialty" in my Yellow Pages ad.
Quickly design the art, make a film (real camera back then, so this was, print a paper copy, shoot the film, run a PMT through the developer, and force dry the film) burn and develop a screen. (Being one color, I was able to force dry this as well it without worry of affecting registration.)
Crank 'em out, fold and ready for pickup on his way to the airport.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Fastest you’ve ever done a job?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 12:29:03 PM »
Hey folks, this thread took a detour that really changed it to a business discussion, hence its split, with that stuff moving to "Running and Growing a Business", one of our sections restricted to verified members with at least 10 posts.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?