Author Topic: Shop towels or rags  (Read 1388 times)

Offline ixpoz

• Verified/Junior
Shop towels or rags
« on: January 20, 2018, 11:21:23 PM »
What type of towels are you guys using to clean up around the shop?  Paper towels or shop rags?  Lint free I’m assuming?  I searched the forums and didn’t see any discussions, so any suggestions would be great.

Offline Get Shirts

Re: Shop towels or rags
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 04:59:28 AM »
What type of towels are you guys using to clean up around the shop?  Paper towels or shop rags?  Lint free I’m assuming?  I searched the forums and didn’t see any discussions, so any suggestions would be great.

Usually the G5000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 07:27:04 AM »
Misprints go into a bin. Those are used for set ups. When they are used up the get cut up into rags. If we run low on screw ups we buy black and tan tubes for set ups, and they go through the same cycle.

Don't get me started on screw ups... I lose sleep over that stuff and it's not even my shop. The last one was a typo, contract client, their art, TONS of eyes looked at that art and proof, 37 shirts printed and the person at the end of the dryer ask "why is it spelled FOOTALL and not FOOTBALL?"

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 09:47:35 AM »
I use the blue Scotts shop rags. You can buy them in bulk on Amazon for under $2 per roll usually.

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 01:24:59 PM »
Misprints go into a bin. Those are used for set ups. When they are used up the get cut up into rags. If we run low on screw ups we buy black and tan tubes for set ups, and they go through the same cycle.

Don't get me started on screw ups... I lose sleep over that stuff and it's not even my shop. The last one was a typo, contract client, their art, TONS of eyes looked at that art and proof, 37 shirts printed and the person at the end of the dryer ask "why is it spelled FOOTALL and not FOOTBALL?"

Same - we use misprints
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline dsh

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 01:27:58 AM »
We use both.  My wife likes the blue Scott rags.  I use misprints. 

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 09:56:58 AM »
Scrap shirts for some things, but Scott blue shop towels for anything with chemicals. Although I've been meaning to get some lint-free disposables for, oh, a decade.  Used them at my last shop, and they were great for on press color changes.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 10:15:27 AM »
misprints and paper towels depending on the application.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 11:17:56 AM »
I still like Viva paper towels for on press ink cleaning. I use misprints for other print setups, and then, with their many inked images are just not soft and absorbent enough for me.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ThePrinter

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 11:23:52 AM »
I use the red shop rags like you see in mechanic shops. I wipe send through dryer and use again. You can get them in white/natural too.

Offline Croft

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 12:05:05 PM »
I use the red shop rags like you see in mechanic shops. I wipe send through dryer and use again. You can get them in white/natural too.

be careful if you go this route through a service like GK or others that you get printing shop rags not auto or machine shop recleaned rags because of metal shards in the fabric.

Offline ThePrinter

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 01:01:51 PM »

be careful if you go this route through a service like GK or others that you get printing shop rags not auto or machine shop recleaned rags because of metal shards in the fabric.

I get mine from Sam's Club https://www.samsclub.com/sams/100pk-shop-towels-members-mark/prod17690135.ip?xid=plp:product:1:2

But that is good to know, I didn't know they clean and reuse/sale them.