Author Topic: bleeding black  (Read 1594 times)

Offline ixpoz

• Verified/Junior
bleeding black
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:08:54 AM »
I am working on a 3 color job on 100% cotton.  White, yellow and black, in that order.  The first dozen or so went well, but then I am seeing that the black is starting to bleed around the top edges of the letters and into the sky, as well.  I am using 156 screens with plastisol inks, PFP with the white and PFP with the yellow as well and then printing the black.  I have posted a picture to show what is happening, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
Re: bleeding black
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:25:47 AM »
Looks like the trap / stroke is a little big. 1Pt (vector) or 3Px @ 300DPI should do it. I would only choke the base 1pt rather than trapping the top colors. Usually for something like this I would print the black first. And I would have the top colors on 230/40's.

If you must P/F/P. Try Black / White / Flash / White / Yellow. You should not have to PFP the yellow. With a top white and a little art tweak, you could easily run this with one flash.

Offline ixpoz

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 08:14:03 AM »
That’s an interesting color order, I hadn’t thought of that. So why would the first 10-15 print well and then start heading down hill?  Is there any hope of saving the current set-up?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 08:42:30 AM »
As long as you have a infrared/radiant heat flash unit, that print order is a good one.

Also, can you tell us why you are trapping so high?  Does your press not hold tight registration?  Low tension screens?  anything else?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ixpoz

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 08:55:14 AM »
Basically it was a rookie mistake. When I initially did the art and burnt the screen, the registration marks didn’t expose properly and I couldn’t get the registration on to save my life. So when I redid the screens, I “tweaked” the art thinking I was doing myself a favor and over compensated with the bleed/stroke.

So going to back to what you were saying about the flash, I’m using a vastex f-1000 flash on a vastex v-1000 press, so it certainly has the ability, it’s mine that I’m questioning at the moment, Lol!

Anyways, are you suggesting that I increase my flash time and I may be able to save the job?

Offline Northland

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 03:37:03 PM »
More often than not.... I'll print the Black first and flash it good.
... I never get any bleed after that.

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 10:17:44 PM »
On our manual press I would have went: black yellow wow, flash, white yellow wow, flash, White. Into the oven.

Sneaking the black in early helps us a lot in the manual press too. I find the opaque inks for whites and yellows are hard to cover with a typically thinner black ink. Especially since we’d run it through a higher mesh in this case because of the coverage. Plus saves a spin because it can usually be printed wet on wet.

I realize this isn’t helpful to your situation but maybe it will be to a manual printer eyeballing this thread for tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk