Author Topic: Servo Index Motor blew today after e-stopping press  (Read 1694 times)

Offline chubsetc

Servo Index Motor blew today after e-stopping press
« on: January 23, 2018, 06:46:14 PM »
This is by no means meant to be a bashing post at all.  I just want to see if anyone else has encountered this over the years.  I have a '12 Diamondback with servo index and air heads and had my first auto printing experience when trained on this press.  When I was training I was told if you are about to print a mis-loaded shirt or pallet just hit the e-stop and save the shirt/pallet, reset to where you were and continue printing.  During my warranty period, about 5 months after getting the press, my servo indexing motor blew while hitting the e-stop.  After getting a tech in, they fixed it with a new control panel and a new motor (all under warranty).  Fast forward 5 years later (this morning) and it happened again.  We hit e-stop to avoid printing a pallet and the servo motor blew.  I spent the day talking to various people at M&R to work through it including Rich, Stan (sales rep at M&R NY - who checked on things and made sure I was taken care of) and some managers, etc.  Everyone was great to deal with very responsive, my new motor should arrive tomorrow. 

Here are my main questions:

1.  Do other M&R owners periodically use e-stop as a means to not print a pallet/misloaded shirt?  We try not to use it often but it does happen during production on occasion.  But after talking today, M&R's stance seems to be never e-stop unless it is a real emergency.

2.  Has anybody else lost a servo motor after hitting the e-stop, those babies are not cheap, (~$2400) and now after this has happened for the 2nd time we'll be afraid of e-stopping.  Again, they are saying although it is rare and shouldn't happen, the electronics in the motor most likely blew because of the e-stop.

Any input to help is appreciated, thanks!

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Servo Index Motor blew today after e-stopping press
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 08:08:59 PM »
I have hit mine at various points during an index and it is scary. I have taught myself to let it finish indexing, then as the table lifts I hit the e-stop so there's no huge mass of metal being brought to an immediate stop.

Offline chubsetc

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 08:45:33 PM »
I do the same thing, if i am resorting to an e-stop I do it once index has finished.  it typically gets hit during the lift or just before the stroke begins.

Offline CGS

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 11:17:31 PM »
I've seen repeated mis-usage of the e-stop by press operators take out several motors, gear reducers, and ball screw drives over the years.

Remember a few misprinted shirts are way less $$ than any of those parts

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 06:51:51 AM »
Estop should be used for emergency only... not a misprint. Who ever told you to use the estop for that is wrong.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 09:30:37 AM »
it wasn't as big of a deal on air driven presses, I would rarely use it on the Gauntlet.  I hate using it on the RPM.

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 11:39:35 AM »
Why do you not have the skip shirt sensor?  It reads no shirt is there and will not print the pallet?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 01:06:19 PM »
I used the E-stop once on our press and will never do it again unless someone is caught in the press, we have a skip shirt button which stops any print on that pallet and a stop bar which stop the press in it's track without all that banging sounding like the press just hit a couple of cars.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline chubsetc

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 06:53:34 PM »
Why do you not have the skip shirt sensor?  It reads no shirt is there and will not print the pallet?

When purchasing, all the options available weren’t necessarily affordable as is the case with many printers moving from manual printing into their first auto.  The issue is I have been printing under the false premise that this is how it should be done.  Being basically self trained in this craft I have unfortunately had to learned a lot from my own mistakes or the mistakes of others.  I’m continually growing and continually learning.  Hoping this thread is not only helpful to me but helpful to others so they don’t also make the same costly mistake. 

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 08:42:30 AM »
It's pretty cool on the Gauntlet 3 and other 3 series presses.  Since they are belt driven the press just stops, silently, swiftly, almost like Steven Segal without the death.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline chubsetc

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 08:33:55 AM »
It's pretty cool on the Gauntlet 3 and other 3 series presses.  Since they are belt driven the press just stops, silently, swiftly, almost like Steven Segal without the death.

Read your "book" last night on the G3 and we can all have goals, right?  By the way, thanks for your honest commentary on things over the years.  You can't trust everything you read on forums but I know when you speak, there is an additional level of trust I hold in your words.  Thanks man!