Author Topic: do you remember, I hope you do  (Read 2739 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
do you remember, I hope you do
« on: January 26, 2018, 08:06:37 PM »

Some of us will smile and remember and some of us will never know, real happy I could look back and remember I was there and can add a few memories of my own..............................

https://www.facebook.com/thisblewmymind/videos/625907074174693/

it was me playing in my stone driveway with my construction trucks.

Cars with metal dash boards and no seatbelts

7 digit phone numbers eccept two of the digits were LETTERS

street cleaning machines you ran behind to get cooled of in the summer time

smokey black smudge pots  burning all night marking  pot holes in the road

police cars with a big single red rotating light on top

the way you ran home to get a few cents to buy some ice cream when you heard the Mr Tastee truck comming your way.

super sugary candy liquids  sealed in wax tubes and other shapes that you bit into to reach the flavored drink inside...then chewed on the wax the drink came in

penny candy

collecting Mallo cup points

A time BEFORE SALES TAX

saving cereal box tops to send in for prizes

Balsa airplanes you bought for a quarter put together and flew till the rubber band broke..remember the Skeeter

sonic booms from military airplanes flying over head

Civil Defense drills

black bakelite telephones that weighed a ton and had a metal rotary dial that you stuck your finger into to dial...and they all had the same ring tone

Real live telephone operators that we needed for person to person calls

mom and pop grocery stores that would deliver your grocery order to your house

a time before color tv and remote controls

going to the movies Saturady afternoon for $.35 to watch 101 cartoons and the Three Stoges

large orange trucks with a huge blower that drove down your street spraying insecticide into the tree tops ....probabbly was DDT

when smoking was cool and stylish

Hop Along Cassidy...Sky King....Zorro...Rinn Tin Tin...The Cisco Kid.... Howdy Doody

your best bike, it had a torpedo style light smack in the center of your handlebar,
a metal platform over the back wheel where you could have your friend hop on for a ride
and a mouse trap contraption over the front wheel, fenders with mud flaps that had little red & green reflectors stuck in them.

Metal wheel roller skates that strapped to your  shoes and the skate key you always lost

red ball jet sneakers

steel beer cans you opened with a can opener in two places

Speedy Relief the Alka Selser character

gas pumps that had a little bell that rang out as you filled your tank with $.24 cent a gallon real UNLEADED GAS

Two hour summer prades with families lining the street far as you could see

Cocka Meme tattoos you bought for a penny, licked your arm and transferred  the image to your skin with your spit

the Ed Sullivan show, Ted Mack original amature hour, Father Knows Best, The original Batman series

Gilette Friday Night Fights

;D :'( mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: do you remember, I hope you do
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 01:12:58 AM »
I was raised in the inner city of Saint Louis amid row houses with front steps to the door.

I feel blessed that I have lived long enough to remember almost all of those things too.  That link had me at "Hide and Seek" at dusk. 

Here are a few of my memories:

Radio serials when the daily newspaper carried the evening line ups and times.  Serials like:
Johnny Dollar, The Green Hornet, Amos and Andy, Lone Ranger and many more.  Before most had a TV, of course

I must be older than Moose (actually I know Mike and know I am) because our movie theater only cost me .07 on Friday Nights and .03 for a candy bar including the 3 Musketeers that had 3 easy break sections to split with 2 friends....HA, like that ever happened

Green Stamps and the books you accumulated to exchange for merchandise in the catalog

Candy buttons on strips of paper you popped off and ate...usually ingesting bits of the paper too

Red Goose Shoes

Plunk Your Magic Twanger, Froggie! -
- Andy's Gang with Andy Devine (HiYa Kids, HiYa, HiYa) and advertised by Buster Brown Shoes

Ipana Tooth Paste

Walt Disney....himself hosting the Disney Hour on Sunday evenings

The first time you saw COLOR on a TV....but was at a restaurant and not in your parent's budget for years to come

Playing bounce ball on the steps where a fly was worth 10 points and a one bounce was 5.  (Had to hit the point of the steps to get a fly to happen).  Two bounces and you lost your turn

The guy rolling the Tamale cart down the street at dusk calling out
"Red Hots, Get Your Red Hots Here!"

When you could go to the local church, Mason's or Knights of Columbus in the summer that had a baseball field and could find others that just happened to drop by and chose sides to play a pickup game

Sitting in front of the TV on Saturday morning waiting for the Test Pattern and that annoying audio tone to stop and the programming to start

When TV went off the air at 12:00 by playing Perry Como singing the Lords Prayer

When you were 12 and could ride the bus (okay, streetcar) to the Ice Rink on Saturday afternoon and nobody worried about you being snatched or worse

That's all I can think of for now.............
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 01:26:43 AM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 09:24:53 AM »
cootie catchers
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Northland

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 11:52:39 AM »
- Keds high top tennis shoes
- Transistor radios
- Milk delivered in glass bottles to the doorstep
- RedRover-RedRover send Johnny right over
- vinyl 45's on a stacking turntable
- "fizzies" tablets

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 12:01:25 PM »

Red Goose Shoes

Plunk Your Magic Twanger, Froggie! -
- Andy's Gang with Andy Devine (HiYa Kids, HiYa, HiYa) and advertised by Buster Brown Shoes

Cancer machines in the shoe stores!

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 04:06:47 PM »
Still thinking about the old days, my family was in the grocery business until mid 60's. It was an IGA store.

I pretty much , within reason, would be free to grab an ice cream, candy bar or two and such whenever I wanted.

The thing I regret most ,today, were the packs of baseball cards ...i would get them for the gum and to have the cards to play pitch with my friends.

Most of all i remember the cards I would clip to the fender bracket on my bike with a spring clothes pin, sometimes 4 at a time two on each wheel.
Mickey, Roger , Hank, Yaz , Duke, Willie , Roberto, Sandy and many others rode shotgun on my spokes until they were tattered and grey from my spokes. Then i simply went and got more........ :'(  ::) Who knew....
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 06:18:10 PM »
2 things for sure come to my mind:

Our TV was a 13" black and white, of course no remote and the tilt knob on the back to adjust when it started rolling.  Also, the national anthem that would wake you up around midnight followed by static.

My Dad used to send me to a cigarette vending machine to buy his cigarettes for a buck 75.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 06:40:53 PM »
My God, you're young.

I used to pay .50 a pack in the late 60's.

Mike, regarding your access to ice cream at the IGA.  In the mid 60's my parents owned what they called then a 'dairy store' where they had a complete soda fountain and sold milk in glass containers along with bread and confectionery items.  I know I must have gained at least 25 pounds as I could make my own sundaes and banana splits (without strawberry topping, mine was marshmallow, fudge and caramel) before they sold and we moved to Texas.

I did the same thing with the playing cards in the spokes and years later I found out my mother tossed my cigar boxes of baseball cards when we moved, ughhhhh.  Oh, I gave away the gum, lol.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 12:36:51 PM »
Still thinking about the old days, my family was in the grocery business until mid 60's. It was an IGA store.

I pretty much , within reason, would be free to grab an ice cream, candy bar or two and such whenever I wanted.

The thing I regret most ,today, were the packs of baseball cards ...i would get them for the gum and to have the cards to play pitch with my friends.

Most of all i remember the cards I would clip to the fender bracket on my bike with a spring clothes pin, sometimes 4 at a time two on each wheel.
Mickey, Roger , Hank, Yaz , Duke, Willie , Roberto, Sandy and many others rode shotgun on my spokes until they were tattered and grey from my spokes. Then i simply went and got more........ :'(  ::) Who knew....
mooseman

As I drove over to our new shop to do some painting yesterday, I drove past my elementary school, (which has not been a school in over 50 years) and thinking how many priceless baseball cards I flipped away, all the bigs stars of the 50's... (and in my spokes too). I'm on Medicare now, but it seems like yesterday...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 12:44:53 PM »

Most of all i remember the cards I would clip to the fender bracket on my bike with a spring clothes pin, sometimes 4 at a time two on each
wheel.
mooseman

As I drove over to our new shop to do some painting yesterday, I drove past my elementary school, (which has not been a school in over 50 years) and thinking how many priceless baseball cards I flipped away, all the bigs stars of the 50's... (and in my spokes too). I'm on Medicare now, but it seems like yesterday...

Steve

If it makes you guys feel any better, even the ones we didn't destroy in our bike wheels, or lose the corners flipping against walls, were not placed in acrylic cases to keep them mint which is what's expected nowadays. Hurts me to see that cool toys aren't played with for the same reason.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 06:44:07 PM »

Most of all i remember the cards I would clip to the fender bracket on my bike with a spring clothes pin, sometimes 4 at a time two on each
wheel.
mooseman

Steve

If it makes you guys feel any better, even the ones we didn't destroy in our bike wheels, or lose the corners flipping against walls, were not placed in acrylic cases to keep them mint which is what's expected nowadays. Hurts me to see that cool toys aren't played with for the same reason.

Thanks Frog,
not really feeling bad, my point poorly made possibly was ,  it goes to show   "if you only knew then what you know now"  and the golden value of those days that only contine to grow in value with the added patina of time.
In many respects the best times of my life, remembered and still enjoyed.
mooseman

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 07:20:10 PM »
There was an episode of Spielberg's Twilight Zone-like Amazing Stories in which a magic gnome type character advised a kid to keep a bunch of Action Comics #1 and other similar things so that many years down the line, when he needed it, he had a fortune in old goodies!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 11:22:59 PM »
And the Back to the Future movie where Old Biff gave Young Biff the Sports Book with all the future score results. 

Man, what I could have done with that, lol.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:47:16 PM by screenxpress »

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 08:17:42 AM »
Cancer machines in the shoe stores!
  Oh, yes. Now I have bad feet, occasional gout and need cataract surgery in both eyes.
Somewhere I still have an autographed picture of Duncan Renaldo (Cisco Kid). Don't forget
Romper Room. I was actually on one. Kids today just can't imagine. My dad would send me
to the drugstore on my bike to get him a pack of Lucky Strike for a quarter.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 08:43:36 AM »

wheel.
mooseman

Steve

Thanks Frog,
not really feeling bad, my point poorly made possibly was ,  it goes to show   "if you only knew then what you know now"  and the golden value of those days that only contine to grow in value with the added patina of time.
In many respects the best times of my life, remembered and still enjoyed.
mooseman

I still have a lot of comics, and a couple of vintage Fender and Ampeg amps, but yeah, the rest is gone...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't