Author Topic: Servo Amplifer Readout  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Servo Amplifer Readout
« on: January 27, 2018, 07:47:12 PM »
I've just replaced the printhead in my rocket launcher I image.  I've replaced it once before. 

After replacing the head, if I hit the button so I can lower or send the screen back up nothing happens, If I try to print, it just prints over the same area of the screen without lowering as it prints.  If I shut the main unit off, the screen will slowly slide to the bottom of the carriage unit.  When I turn it back on and hit the reset button it will raise but only with the printer on but will not lower.  If the Epson is off, it does nothing.   

I just got off the phone with a tech and he says it sounds like a dead servo amp battery.  I just replaced it last year around this time.  The code is "AL --" and I get no alarms on the screen.

The dead battery may be possible I guess but it was working fine yesterday.  It just seems odd that it didn't do this until I replaced the printhead.  The epson seems to be accepting everything just fine with no errors.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I hope it is just a battery.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:30:18 PM by Doug S »
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Alex M

• !!!
Re: Servo Amplifer Readout
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 01:26:36 PM »
You need to rehome the servo
I forgot the exact procedure on this machine as MR only built 10-12 of these.
It also could be that it came out of “following” mode. Again I forgot how to reset this, but a rehome will also override/ solve this.

Sorry I can not be of more help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex Mammoser
Director of Sales
Easiway Systems
Mobile: +1 630 220 6588
alex@easiway.com

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 07:25:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply Alex.  Jvanick sent me the instructions.  I'll do this first thing in the morning. 

Offline Alex M

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 10:54:31 PM »
All good, glad he got you set up. I would have booted up the external hard drive that has all my old MR stuff on it if no one could find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex Mammoser
Director of Sales
Easiway Systems
Mobile: +1 630 220 6588
alex@easiway.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 08:09:36 AM »
If i'm not mistaken a dead battery will cause the servo motor to lose home or whatever when the power is unplugged for more than a couple minutes.

I replace mine about every 6 months just in case.  It's not a big expense, I do that and the PLC.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 02:29:57 PM »
Just an update. 

1st of all props to M&R tech support.

Turns out that I replaced a cover at the back of the carriage unit without noticing the old one had 2 square pieces of lead tape on the top of the old cover.  Anyway those 2 pieces of tape are what the sensor read while printing so that the screen holder would move as it prints.  I would've never figured that one out.  Anyway, thanks for everyone's help.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 02:41:53 PM »
getting ready to replace the head on ours. Where did you get the replacement and how much was it?
Anything I need to know before digging in?

thanx,

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 04:14:14 PM »
getting ready to replace the head on ours. Where did you get the replacement and how much was it?
Anything I need to know before digging in?

thanx,

pierre

I bought the replacement from www.wercan.com  It was over $1600 with shipping and took about a week and a half to get here.  As far as the replacing goes, I rented this video for $45.  Here is the link https://myx900.com/change-your-own-printhead/  the video is well worth it.  He goes step by step all the way to entering the ranking of the new head.  By the way, if you need the servprox.exe to enter the ranking just pm me your email and I'll get it to you.  The main thing is not bending any ribbon cables and a magnetic philips is a must preferably a #1 but a #2 will work, especially when removing the selector unit.  Also, remember to shut the ink supply off from the bulk ink system or you'll have a black floor "ask me how I know".   One final thing, when you hang the selector unit so it will be out of the way, be sure not to pull the encoder strip out of the slot on the back of the carriage.  I did that and ruined it.  Thank God I had a spare.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 04:19:11 PM by Doug S »

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 04:18:09 PM »
I paid a tech $2200 to do ours, and go through the printer and grease/maintain it all.  Well worth it.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 04:24:32 PM »
I paid a tech $2200 to do ours, and go through the printer and grease/maintain it all.  Well worth it.

The nearest tech to us is 110 miles and they didn't remotely sound interested.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 09:39:50 AM »
Ours is about 7 miles and he loves these bastardized Epsons.  It keeps it interesting for him.