Author Topic: Using Epson and accurip to not print halftones...  (Read 1414 times)

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
Using Epson and accurip to not print halftones...
« on: February 01, 2018, 12:18:15 PM »
Hey there.  I am new to accurip, and I am trying to print some art prints through my epson t3270.  I dont need any halftone dots, but just a film printed with the photo black from photoshop or any of the other adobe programs.

Does anyone know of a way to do this.  Thanks!!!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Using Epson and accurip to not print halftones...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 12:46:36 PM »
do you have the option to print directly to the printer rather than to AR? Is there an EPSON printer in the drop down menu?

'just thinking out loud as we don't have one of the new printers so I don't know how they bundled it with AR.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 12:52:05 PM »
I can print directly to the printer, but it doesn’t use the photo black. It is a very faint print, that will not burn correctly...

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 12:53:59 PM »
I can print directly to the printer, but it doesn’t use the photo black. It is a very faint print, that will not burn correctly...

that still might work. My understanding is that there are UV blockers in the ink that are translucent and the films printed even with yellow are exposing correctly.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 01:03:53 PM »
Use AccuRIP; if there are no areas less than 100% black, you should not get any halftones. We use a T3270 too; dye based ink, the photo black epson ink. Don't try the matte for films. Yes, you can see through it, but it blocks the UV light and burns fine. In the old, old days, we could burn screens with masking films called Amberllth and Rubylith; they were transparent, but blocked the UV light, and that's all that matters. We've burned a few thousand screens with the films from this printer with a 5K Metal Halide lamp, so you should be good.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »
OK I got it.  I am not sure if this matters or not, but I made my channels then split them all, then printed them grayscale instead of from RGB.

It seemed to work compared to my first film.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 04:12:09 PM »
So, you're making spot color channels is Photoshop? Are you importing the Photoshop file into Illustrator or Corel Draw to print from? And yes, each of the channels are grayscale, and if the image in the channel is only 100% black, then it prints solid shapes; anything below 100% and AccuRIP will make halftones, because it what it thinks you're asking for. Print a test film and burn it at your regular exposure time, it should work, we didn't have to make any adjustments when we started using it.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't