Author Topic: Which type of printer has lower printing cost per page? Inkjet or laser?  (Read 885 times)

Offline kev21

• Verified/Junior
Looking for a printer that has lower printing cost per page and can be multi-functional, compact and easy on your pocket all at the same time?

Offline zanegun08

Re: Which type of printer has lower printing cost per page? Inkjet or laser?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 01:00:18 AM »
Laser for sure.

We got an HP M533 from Amazon for like sub $400.  The toner includes the drums, so they are a more expensive than one where you are just changing power, but we had a previous laser that broke down, and had to be vacuumed out as the toner would get everywhere.

For the past year and a half the HP M533 has worked great.  Color seem pretty well, it has some "Pantone Matching" properties but I wouldn't say it is super accurate, but is fast, reliable, and I'm happy with it.

I'm sure you could do more research and find cheaper cost per page.  But longevity is hard to factor in.

Maybe get laser for black and white, and an all in one inkjet for color with a good paper would be the best combo, but we have printers, and standalone scanners in our art department.  And some giant, hefty, old laser ones for the office that constantly seem to break down, but have a tech support that "fixes" it at no cost, but I often think I should just replace that with some HP's for printing, and then just use the other for scanning / emailing scans to computer.

Offline kev21

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 03:48:46 AM »
Laser for sure.

We got an HP M533 from Amazon for like sub $400.  The toner includes the drums, so they are a more expensive than one where you are just changing power, but we had a previous laser that broke down, and had to be vacuumed out as the toner would get everywhere.

For the past year and a half the HP M533 has worked great.  Color seem pretty well, it has some "Pantone Matching" properties but I wouldn't say it is super accurate, but is fast, reliable, and I'm happy with it.

I'm sure you could do more research and find cheaper cost per page.  But longevity is hard to factor in.

Maybe get laser for black and white, and an all in one inkjet for color with a good paper would be the best combo, but we have printers, and standalone scanners in our art department.  And some giant, hefty, old laser ones for the office that constantly seem to break down, but have a tech support that "fixes" it at no cost, but I often think I should just replace that with some HP's for printing, and then just use the other for scanning / emailing scans to computer.

Print quality ???, is it value for money ?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 09:25:47 AM »
it's pretty hard to pantone match from a printer.  Not impossible, usually the printers will say if they are capable of it.

Laser out of the box is cheaper per print.

But if you go with an inkjet with a CIS system and inks by the gallon or quart, you will come out cheaper overall.  I think back in the day I spent $500 on 5 gallons of ink for our Epson 3000.  I used half of it before I finally had to throw it out when the printer died.

You could also check out wax printers, the print quality of those is great, even on cheap paper.  Inkjets fail here.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 10:19:50 AM »
look into used color copiers. They can also print, scan, fax and in some cases email. We bought ours for $500 and had to put in another $500 into it. The good part is, 20,000 page toner is $60 or so.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 10:34:38 AM »
Not helping here but I found that buying these cheap inkjet printers cost you more in ink, we only use them for our office work and art proofs, but dang those little ink carts are costly.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline DCSP John

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 11:29:14 AM »
Just put a HP M553 in our office  a few months back. Specifically for color proofs.
Great machine at a great price. Prints very fast & reliable.
Be sure to use premium laser jet  paper for best results.

Available everywhere for a good price.

- John