Author Topic: Could this be done CMYK  (Read 2149 times)

Offline XG Print

Could this be done CMYK
« on: February 06, 2018, 04:43:32 PM »
Have a client looking to do this shirt.  Can this be done using a white base and CMYK.  I only have 5 heads at the moment so Im limited.  Customer wants these on several different color shirts so the base is a must.  Also who would be the go to for separating something like this.  We usually only deal with 1-4 color spot jobs so this is really out of my ball park but I have been wanting to give this type of stuff a shot to expand our offerings.  Thanks Guys!!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Could this be done CMYK
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 05:17:12 PM »
I vote for Dan Campbell to separate this one with as a modified CMYK sep.  Instead of CMYK inks, you use pantone colors, but print it like CMYK.

I've done this type of work before, its kinda a headache since everything still has to balance properly.  But it's soooo much easier than traditional CMYK printing.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline XG Print

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 05:20:04 PM »
I vote for Dan Campbell to separate this one with as a modified CMYK sep.  Instead of CMYK inks, you use pantone colors, but print it like CMYK.

I've done this type of work before, its kinda a headache since everything still has to balance properly.  But it's soooo much easier than traditional CMYK printing.

Do you happen to have his contact info?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 06:30:54 PM »
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 06:51:16 PM »
My suggestion would be to send it out. Get Dan to separate and send the seps to somebody to print it. Get the info on how it was done and then do some testing in house.
Pretty sure it would be a bad idea to start testing on a job that a customer is paying for . . .

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 08:14:01 PM »
*cough* Pierre ;)

Offline XG Print

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 08:24:10 PM »
My suggestion would be to send it out. Get Dan to separate and send the seps to somebody to print it. Get the info on how it was done and then do some testing in house.
Pretty sure it would be a bad idea to start testing on a job that a customer is paying for . . .

Pierre
Oh no doubt. That is definetly what I plan to do. I’ve been at this for 10 yrs and I sure don’t need to ruin our reputation on some tryout Printing LOL. Probably gonna be in the neighborhood of 150 pcs too so I definetly want it done right and for all the shirts to be consistent.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 08:48:03 PM »
*cough* Pierre ;)

I know, I know. . .  But the truth is, it is what should be done. Even XG agrees.

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 08:50:42 PM »

Pierre
Oh no doubt. That is definetly what I plan to do. I’ve been at this for 10 yrs and I sure don’t need to ruin our reputation on some tryout Printing LOL. Probably gonna be in the neighborhood of 150 pcs too so I definetly want it done right and for all the shirts to be consistent.

You could run this through photoshop and convert to CMYK then try on white shirts. I would probably increase the saturation on all the color channels and use a 45lpi dot for the first try. It should get your feet wet on dealing with process printing. It will probably come out better than you think!

Pierre

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 12:03:50 AM »
This happens to be more difficult than it looks at first glance. When you click on the image, you can see this is not a good file to try and separate, nor print in CMYK. It's going to be very broken up and this type of file, makes it very hard to separate well.  You should really have someone clean it up first before trying to sep it and print it.

That's a lot to pack into a job and, you aren't normally accustom to printing this type of work.  You need higher mesh, (prints differently than lower mesh)...requiring thin inks to flow nicely thru the high mesh. That is a + That helps you be able to blend colors better. There is another thing to be concerned with. That is the new focus on fine halftones. Most people who start out trying something like this that have been flat solid color printers end up being very surprised that they aren'y holding much detail (if they are even aware of it). So it seems you want to try and get your feet wet on a very difficult job to start with.

Going on Multi colors, (limited to 5 colors) looks like this.

Base white - low mesh like a 158-180 mesh.
230-305 mesh on all. (Keep them all consistent). Meaning don't mix up the mesh sizes.

Yellow
Red
Blue
Black

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 01:00:24 AM »
I'm going to ask since nobody else did and I'm basically curious.

Is Dreamworks going to be a problem on this?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 01:42:48 AM »
I don't bother asking on things like this for Schools. Schools are able to purchase usage rights to put on events for like $100.00 Although I would suspect that they would have their own art for the schools to use. Sometimes, I can see people putting together their own art (like so). Technically, they should use the art in the package. People don't always tho. Maybe they feel it's not enough or doesn't fit exactly what they want, so that "add on".
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 08:31:25 AM »
I've mentioned it before, but my wife is a theatre teacher and they put on plays owned by disney etc. They pay anywhere from 300 to 600 bucks for the rights and are sometimes supplied with t-shirt and program art, sometimes not. The license does allow them to use art like posted, and as posted it usually must include the schools name and date of the performance.

Offline XG Print

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 08:57:56 AM »
I've mentioned it before, but my wife is a theatre teacher and they put on plays owned by disney etc. They pay anywhere from 300 to 600 bucks for the rights and are sometimes supplied with t-shirt and program art, sometimes not. The license does allow them to use art like posted, and as posted it usually must include the schools name and date of the performance.

This is correct...The school paid to get the license but unfortunately this one did not come with n artwork package.  I do several of these for schools every year.  Some have the art package and some do not.  Sure makes it easier with the ones that include it.  Most of the art can be simplified into spot colors which we can easily work with.  This one is gonna be a littl much for us I think.  May have to try and simplify it.  Thanks Guys!!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 12:16:57 PM »

Thanks for the info (You, Dan and XG).  I was unaware it was that easy and done that frequently based on past posts I've read where copyrights have been mentioned.

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers