Author Topic: varsity jackets?  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
varsity jackets?
« on: February 13, 2018, 06:25:05 AM »
anyone offer these? There is a shop in town that does but they are closing up at the end of this week and I'm sort of being forced into it, I have no idea where to start...or is this something to stay away from? I've never really looked into it, it looks to be more of a PITA but it's an opportunity I don't want to let slip by...any help is greatly appreciated
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
Re: varsity jackets?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 08:34:55 AM »
Neff, but theirs SUCK IMO.  Holloway, good product with nice leather sleeves.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 09:13:12 AM »
sanmar holloway and game sportswear, http://www.aswjackets.net  dalco athletic for the letter work then there were these guys DeLong sports wear real high end stuff but they got bought out https://sgbonline.com/delong-sportswear-assets-acquired-by-daden-group/
not sure if you can still get those nice jackets.

we don't do them any more but there is serious money in it if you can stand the one off helicopter parentes who think their child who could not pee his pants after a gallon of Gatoraid and his zipper sewed shut is going to go to college on a sports full ride.

Lots of handling time but the bucks are there if you handle it right...me I am too freaking old
PS if you need a 4 head machine I can make you a nice deal
mooseman
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:29:31 AM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 10:57:59 AM »
Thanks guys, I e-mailed Game, I've checked out Holloway, and SanMar looks like they are closing out on that coat? At least the colors I need  ::).

I am afraid of the hand holding, I am so busy now I really hate to add more counter time to my day. But if the money's green. . .

Online GoWestRob

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 02:05:25 PM »
Here is the link to the Holloway one to help out anyone in the future who finds this thread -
https://www.augustasportswear.com/holloway-varsity-jacket-224183#.WoM2oK6nGUk

Offline Catnhat

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 05:30:38 PM »
We've offered Settlemeirs Jackets (out of Portland) for years.
There can be some good money in them, but you need to be ready to hold their hand for quite a while.
We do them by appointment only.  Usually after normal business hours or on a weekend. Since it takes about an hour to go through everything.  (Longer if the parents come with them) Everything is customizable, from the colors and number of lines on the cuffs to the color of the snaps.

It can take anywhere from 6-8 weeks (or longer during the holidays) from the time the jacket is ordered until it shows up.  No matter how many times or ways you tell them, they start calling after 2 weeks.
You MUST have access to (or on staff) a good seamstress/tailor, preferably one that's comfortable and capable of sewing on leather.  And access to a shop that does custom 1-off chenile patches doesn't hurt.  Both can speed the process up since you won't have to send the jacket back everytime some little thing goes wrong.

The average jacket, by the time the kids (or parents living vicariously through their kids) get done customizing with varsity letter,  name, year, awards patches, big back patches, etc. the retail average is just north of $500 each.  That's why having access to a seamstress is a MUST!  The parents are the ones that come in screaming when a thread comes loose on a patch on a jacket they paid hundreds of dollars for.

The most expensive one we did was last year, just under $700 by the time it was done.   

Funny thing about that one, the kid didn't give 2 "chits about it, but man, his parents where proud.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 11:14:38 AM »
2 years ago i was at the AC show.. there was a place there that you could build your jacket online with them and then they would make it. Crap, i have no idea who it was for the life of me, i did grab a catalog and can not find it... seems like it would be pretty easy i think.. ill try to find out, or if anyone from here what was at the AC show may remember.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 11:43:25 AM »
Thanks, I think this is more of a PITA than anything. I have enough things consuming my time, all I need is an angry mom in here because little Billy pulled a stitch...I'll come up with another plan...

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 08:25:56 AM »
Thanks, I think this is more of a PITA than anything. I have enough things consuming my time, all I need is an angry mom in here because little Billy pulled a stitch...I'll come up with another plan...

smart move, there is a saying in business Grow From What You Know,
while you will sell some $500.00 jackets you will earn every penny and the warranty goes on forever
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.