Author Topic: Blasting out..  (Read 1004 times)

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Blasting out..
« on: February 13, 2018, 10:01:01 AM »
So we did a black long sleeve shirt with 2 1 color sleeve prints and a 2 color front and a name on the back. Now the name on the back was lyanna..now when i ordered names from transfer express i use caps.. so i thought that was an 'L' because a lower case L looks like the same as an uppercase I in my default font on my comoputer.

SSSOOO...I really need to just take off that bottom tail on the L to make it into an I .. would acetone in a spot gun take that off? I know it doesnt really work on a large number, but make just that little bit? LOL

I really do not want to go and reprint this effin one shirt and order 1 name..

yes i sent the list of names to approve and it slipped by them.

thanks

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Blasting out..
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:05:02 AM »
sometimes you can use MEK (methyl ethyl keytone) a very nasty solvent, to remove vinyl, if it's the polyurethane type, which we all call vinyl anyway, you probably won't have a lot of luck with that, in my experience anyway...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 10:23:41 AM »
So, are these plastisol or cut vinyl?
If vinyl, you may be able to merely dab the offending letter with spot remover, acetone, or MEK and peel the whole letter off, and then replace it. (with an "I" or even "L", it can be hand cut if you have the material. With care, and skill, you mak be able to only lift the "tail" and do a trim with an exacto knife. Then, of course, a re-press.
If, it is plastisol, yes you may be able to blast it off, but I doubt that you can do it cleanly with a straight edge. You also run the risk of making the surrounding letters brittle.

The deal breaker with either type may be that the spacing will not be the same with an "I" rather than an "L", so, if it's indeed vinyl, you may be able to remove the whole name, and then merely re-press it with the correct one, no need to re-print the front.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 11:16:05 AM »
An additional note on vinyl removal. Depending on brand,  amount of pressure used and resulting "adhesion"(and it seems luck), letters usually do not come off without any trace. Either a ghost, or even sometimes residual adhesive sometimes remains.
Rubbing with a cloth dampened with the solvent, and then subsequent heat pressing can lessen this considerably.
That said, there is a also a tendency for the solvent to "ring" and that takes a little finesse to learn the feathering spray technique needed to eliminate the abrupt border of spayed and unspayed fabric.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 12:21:03 PM »
nah man, you're going about this all wrong....Tell the girl to change her name, you already made her this cool shirt!...

Pop off the entire L with zimm gun, hand cut the new letter, done in 5 minutes....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 03:46:41 PM »
i should have said plastisol.

ill zap and recut a i