Author Topic: Wholesale accounts with commercial only suppliers  (Read 274 times)

Offline lancasterprinthouse

Wholesale accounts with commercial only suppliers
« on: February 13, 2018, 08:26:54 PM »
Hello, not sure if this is in the right section or not.

I am wondering if anyone else on here has been able to bypass the requirements from retailers out there that require a commercial address to be able to open wholesale accounts to purchase their products. Our shop is a 2,000 sq ft stand alone building on our residential property. Built in 2010 and a very clean, nice shop. We do high quality work and a fairly high volume out of our little space. We have top of the line equipment, present ourselves with profession and our workspace/office space is very professional. We have a clean property, proper parking, great signage, etc etc etc. All that said we are still unable to offer our clients brands like Pacific Headwear, Richardson Sports, Under Armor, etc. We get denied wholesale accounts because of our residential address.

Over the last 2 years we have been picking up large sports organizations in our areas (most of them are 200-400 player leagues) and it's becoming increasingly difficult to give them options for hats, mostly, but also high quality performance wear. Some of them are requesting the aforementioned brands. I completely understand that they are trying to protect their brand integrity by not letting just anyone put a crap logo or print on their products and getting them out in the wild but I have seen some garbage being produced on these brands. I feel like the reasoning behind these companies requirements for wholesale accounts is somewhat backwards. There are hole-in-the-wall commercial addresses out there in my area that would scare any customer out there, yet they would be able to open accounts with these retailers. Yet, my incredibly nice, presentable and welcoming shop is denied just due to residential status.

Has anyone in a similar situation been able to open these types of wholesale accounts? Really just need to pick up these brands so I don't start losing these nice league clients.

Thanks!

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
Re: Wholesale accounts with commercial only suppliers
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:00:17 PM »
we have had a commercial location for over 30 years and still cannot open an account with any of those mentioned companies. not sure it has to do as much with location as it does with $ amount being spent and greasing the right people to open your account. hell even getting the UA product from alpha has been impossible for us. ive tried to do everything they ask and still can't get access to the product.

Offline Biverson

Wholesale accounts with commercial only suppliers
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 10:51:37 PM »
When have you last tried Pacific? I'm residential, home based, but also present myself professionally, new equipment, etc. I got a Pacific Headwear account last year no problem. Anyone that wants Richardson I can sway to Pacific, or they want one of the hats S&S has. Tried UA once but gave up on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 06:00:17 AM »
Pacific, no problem, call them up again. The hats are better than Richardson anyway. UA, I get mine through Alpha but you have to sell around 30k worth of house brand apparel to qualify, or something around there. There are a few hoops you have to jump through with Alpha, pictures of the products complete, decoration methods used, you can not add a name or number, can't be team related apparel...there's a few other restrictions I can't think of...

UA direct, don't even try, they don't want you.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 07:36:42 AM »
Where is a link for UA on Alpha?  Cant find it.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 07:53:20 AM »

you can't "see it" until you become a reseller. call your rep and see if you qualify! They called me 2 or 3 times, I turned it down then finally decided to  since there aren't any minimum UA requirements. I was under the impression I had to sell X amount of UA per year to maintain an account but you don't. However, like I said the restrictions are kinda douchy but I get why they do it. UA stuff is nice, but I think you are totally paying for the logo.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »

you can't "see it" until you become a reseller. call your rep and see if you qualify! They called me 2 or 3 times, I turned it down then finally decided to  since there aren't any minimum UA requirements. I was under the impression I had to sell X amount of UA per year to maintain an account but you don't. However, like I said the restrictions are kinda douchy but I get why they do it. UA stuff is nice, but I think you are totally paying for the logo.

Agreed!  I have other options for it right now, but this may be easier!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 10:53:53 AM »
Some of those brands are protective of other accounts in the area....So once they have enough dealers, the others are rejected....