Author Topic: Capturing Unique Client Ideas  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Boldline

Capturing Unique Client Ideas
« on: February 15, 2018, 01:30:52 AM »
Here is an example where I take unique client ideas of all kinds and convert them into the most aethestically-pleasing designs that are also easily screen-printed.
Everything was custom drawn with the exception of the state of Texas and the music notes (pulled from clip art files).
This design is unique enough that it would be difficult to find and create all the letter forms simply by perusing clip-art catalogues.
Knowing this design would likely be printed time and again for new students each year, we wanted to be sure the design did not look like a second-rate thrown-together clipart compilation.
Mat Woodworth
Bold Line Design
www.boldlinedesign.com
twitter: @boldlinedesign
facebook: www.facebook.com/boldlinedesignllc

Offline ThePrinter

• Verified/Junior
Re: Capturing Unique Client Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 09:55:24 AM »
Knowing this design would likely be printed time and again for new students each year, we wanted to be sure the design did not look like a second-rate thrown-together clipart compilation.

The kids know when stuff is thrown together too. Especially kids in the arts. Great designs make kids feel good and more confident. That is the best part of the industry...we don't just put shirts on people, we put smiles on them.

Great job!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:25:08 AM by ThePrinter »

Offline Boldline

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 03:13:04 PM »
Thanks! You make a great point. The kids do indeed know when its thrown together. Art is too often an after-thought or an easy way to cut costs on a print order. Not every job needs an artistic masterpiece of course, but on the whole, quality art is easier to print, makes the printing look even better, provides great value to the end-client and may help sell even more shirts than initially anticipated.
Mat Woodworth
Bold Line Design
www.boldlinedesign.com

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 08:36:53 AM »
I agree, the kids do know the difference; something happens when they grow up LOL. Nice job, we do the same here all the time, our staff artist has 40 years in doing it. It's funny how some appreciate the effort, and others, not so much. Our job either way, is to make them look good, whether it's direct or for a contract customer.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:39:10 AM by Sbrem »
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 10:19:15 AM »

The kids know when stuff is thrown together too. Especially kids in the arts. Great designs make kids feel good and more confident. That is the best part of the industry...we don't just shirts on people, we put smiles on them.

This is a great quote. There's a lot of satisfaction when people, young or old, are thrilled with their shirts. We all may deal with the technical ups & downs of printing designs onto shirts day in, day out - but for most [retail] customers, getting "their" shirts is still a big deal, something they look forward to. Thanks for the reminder to enjoy that part of the business! (And I agree that quality art, & utilizing "their" art/ideas is a big part of this!)
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 10:21:34 AM »
Very cool!

Only thing I would have done differently is the weight of the font in the "S".  Would have matched the thicker line weight of the other letters vs the bottom line of text.

Offline Boldline

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 11:05:30 PM »
[quote author=mimosatexas link=topic=21882.msg200444#msg200444 date=1518794494
Only thing I would have done differently is the weight of the font in the "S".  Would have matched the thicker line weight of the other letters vs the bottom line of text.
[/quote]

Thanks! Not sure if I'm following your idea  - Originally started with a thick main font for all of TAPPS - as a guide for the designs... aside from the "T" , each letter took on a life of its own. So the outline shape of the last "S" is the same font and weight as the "T" in Tapps.

I could have potentially used a thicker font inside the "S" to fill it in even more... (I think this was what you meant) or I could have also inverted the negative space and let the lettering I used show through...
Thanks for commenting and sharing your idea - I appreciate it!

Mat Woodworth
Bold Line Design
www.boldlinedesign.com