Author Topic: Transfer prints and paper cutters  (Read 1692 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Transfer prints and paper cutters
« on: February 19, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »
We have a hydraulic paper cutter here, and I've always wanted to be able to cut transfers with it. But every time we do, there is to much pressure, and the transfers end up sticking to one another.

Is there some sort of trick to cutting these transfers so that it doesn't do that?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline zanegun08

Re: Transfer prints and paper cutters
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 02:11:30 PM »
I haven't done it, but my hunch is if you shim the presser foot so it doesn't clamp down super hard right before cutting, that you could cut these on the paper cutter.

I would say the the PET paper is stable enough, and would cut well.  I would just suggest leaving more space than typical if cutting apart with hydraulic cutter.

My idea though is to find a place that can perforate the paper, so that it can just be torn apart.  Have a standard size for interior branding, and hats, and then those could just be torn apart, because cutting by hand is a bear and labor intensive!

Offline domineight

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 11:19:07 PM »
You don't have a bunch of excess adhesive crystals stuck to the back of your sheet? So when pressure is applied the crystals are bonding?
For paper especially I just rack it out after it's printed and coated with crystals to let the static subside. An hour or two and just give the sheet one good snap and there's no excess left.

I don't actually have that problem with the PET sheets I use, but the bond between ink/substrate is a lot higher with this media anyway.

I actually picked up a dicey little chinese A3+ cutter reasonably recently and have been using it quite a bit to hack my transfer sheets up. It's working really well for the $25 I spent on it. Even has push button back stop and programmable LCD.. Pretty stoked with it really.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 08:13:20 AM »

These are used to help with the pressure when cutting NCR paper.

https://www.mybinding.com/premium-15-inch-magnetic-paper-cutter-clamp-pad-2-pk.html

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 09:07:06 AM »
I'll have to look into that clamp you just suggested. Thanks!

And the prints themselves are transferring over to the back of the paper with excessive force of the clamp on the paper cutter.

We just started using the PET , so i'll have to try that out!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285