Author Topic: replacement elements for old Cincinnati dryer  (Read 1934 times)

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Re: replacement elements for old Cincinnati dryer
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 06:59:45 PM »
I'd bet you elements are cheaper, and even if they aren't that's what I'd do.

Plus, you go buck boost, and now you have an expensive pile of active electronics to add to the list of stuff that must work.

Offline Northland

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 10:13:37 PM »
To be honest.... if my conveyor dryer had no temperature controller..... I'd be looking for a different dryer (new -or- used).

Replacement heat panels would be my second choice, but I'd only do so if that was absolutely necessary.

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 11:03:18 PM »
Steve,
I am going to make a couple of assumptions based on more of your shared info.
I assume that your Percentage timer is cycling on/off correctly. I also assume that it is on 100% to
Bring up to temp. I am also guessing that the elements are original and are tubular Cal-rod type
Unless yours has flat ir panels and were changed at a previous time. If they are Cal-rod elements, they
Last forever and easy to find and dont cost alot to change. If you are using IR panels you can buy new
Biscuit element and use your housings to save alot of $. Both take a little time ( a few hours) and it sounds
That your tech is more than qualified and won’t break the bank. For $150 in parts (digital temp control, type j thermocouple) he could also replace your Percentage timer if you choose . I would not go the transformer route cost to much! Other options do the same and keep the $$$ in your pocket.
Good luck
Winston

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 08:21:09 AM »
I had mentioned that we had the elements wired directly without the percentage input timer. When it, and or it's Mercury switch failed a long, long time ago, we wired it directly so we could print immediately, and never bothered to fix it, because we learned how to "tame it", so to speak. About 15 years ago, while Cincinnati Printing and Drying was still in business, we bought replacement elements and installed them, though I had to be reminded of that fact, LOL. I'll check to see what I can find for replacements, there seems to be a few sources... and really guys, tremendous amount of help here, really above and beyond. Especially Northland, I understand it much better now, that was a great explanation. Here's a pic of the elements...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't