Author Topic: Patching holes in screens  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Patching holes in screens
« on: February 22, 2018, 11:30:40 AM »
I have holes of varying sizes in quite a few screens.    Some small, some like a dime.
What is the best way to put a patch on them, I'd like to keep the screen smooth so it will not effect the coating.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 01:45:56 AM by Maxie »
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: Patching holes in screend
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 12:04:49 PM »
Piece of mesh and super glue does it for us. 

To get it nice and smooth, sandwich the glue/mesh between some slick transfer paper and put it on the vacuum table. 

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 12:22:50 PM »

To get it nice and smooth, sandwich the glue/mesh between some slick transfer paper and put it on the vacuum table.

At least for me, no matter how smooth I make the repair, coating is always a little wonky in the vicinity.
Obviously, the closer to the edge, the less interference.
In the center, the screens often become delegated to pocket, or other specialized location prints.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 02:05:39 PM »

Yes that is the best, patch on the shirt side, you can also use 5 minure epoxy. Cover front and back of the patch area with some scrap film, make sure if you use waterproof film you keep the ink side AWAY from the glue and make the covering film much bigger than your patch area.. Definately put it in your vacuum frame and squeeze the snot out of the gliue area. Best to use a round patch of the finest screen mesh you have for the patch. If you are using a square parch  make sure to 45 cut at the corners. Thinly saturate the patch with the epoxy and carefully place it over the hole and add the film covers throw it in the vacuum frame and pull vacuum on it for at least 2-3 minutes if not the full 5 minutes.
We do this all the tine with 5 minute epoxy  lasts forever and leaves a very light footprint on the shirt side of the screen..
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 07:43:56 PM »
...We use the Brother P-Touch tape to label our mesh counts on frames, which works great....BUT this stuff also makes a great patch for over holes!

...just cut two pieces that will cover the holes, make sure they are IDENTICAL in size. Be sure to clean the area to patch to coat-ready state. Peel the backing off of one piece of tape and cover the hole. Flip the screen and place the other piece DIRECTLY over the tape on the other side. Press and rub together firmly to ensure the adhesive from both pieces penetrates the mesh and mingles with the adhesive on both sides. DONE!!

I have tried this with varying types of tape with varying and limited sucess, but this tape works really well. I have patched holes on a few S-Mesh screens that are going on 2+ years, and the label tape is as good as new. Its also really thin, and if applied correctly, will not have peeling edges that your coater "skips", or gets "stuck on.

Heres what I use, but you can get varying tape widths:

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-P-touch-Genuine-Standard-Laminated/dp/B004I2GGLI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519345993&sr=8-3&keywords=ptouch+tze+641

Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Patching holes in screens
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 01:51:43 AM »
Great answers, thanks. 
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 06:50:29 AM »
I pretty do exactly what Mr Tees is suggesting but with vinyl, like sticker material. As long as the two patches are the same size it’ll do well through the dip tank & reclaim. I picked this up at an old decal shop I used to work at. Pretty sure the key was to use cast vinyl instead of calendared though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 12:04:08 PM »
Patched some screens today using Moosemans system.
I cut a piece of 250S mesh to cover the hole.  I stretch my own screens so I used the glue I use for stretching.    Made by Kiwo.      Put glue on the patch mesh, put this over the hole on the shirt side.    Covered both sides with paper I use for transfers and put the screens in the vacuum frame for a few minutes.
Worked really well.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 03:36:43 PM »
Good to hear! We have been using super glue patches, but neglected the transfer paper / vacuum so we always end up with coating snags. Will try this method out soon.