Author Topic: Corel Draw on Mac? 3/5  (Read 2713 times)

Offline DCSP John

Corel Draw on Mac? 3/5
« on: March 05, 2018, 09:18:23 AM »
I have a new employee that is super fluent on Corel.
But - we are all an all MAC shop and run Photoshop and Illustrator.
Anyone out there run Corel on a MAC?  I have done some digging and it
looks like newer cloud based versions of Coral are not offered for MAC.

Would appreciate any feedback. 

Thanks.  - John

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Corel Draw on Mac? 3/5
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 10:18:04 AM »
You could get Fusion or one of the other packages that let's you run Windows on a Mac, it gets set up as a virtual machine. Or learn Illy and Photoshop. (not being wise ;))

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 10:26:40 AM »
I have a new employee that is super fluent on Corel.
But - we are all an all MAC shop and run Photoshop and Illustrator.
Anyone out there run Corel on a MAC?  I have done some digging and it
looks like newer cloud based versions of Corel are not offered for MAC.

Would appreciate any feedback. 

Thanks.  - John

It's been a long time since CorelDRAW played with Mac, way before anyone ever dreamed about the "Cloud".
I was going to suggest looking into the software that lets Mac run Windows, but Steve probably actually knows something about it.
Perhaps someone with actual experience with a Mac running Windows running CorelDRAW will chime in. But, of course, a Macster running Adobe products, may not want to admit crossing over to the dark side.  :o
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Biverson

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 10:40:41 AM »
I use VMware to run windows on my Mac and haven't had a problem with it in 3+ years. Just got it for Corel to do seps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brett - Pioneer Print Co.
www.idoshirts.com

Offline DCSP John

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.
Exactly what we need.

John

Offline brandhouseink

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 12:42:19 PM »
We run Corel on our Macs using VMware Fusion. it allows a virtual environment of Windows. it's been pretty seamless. Also the support from VMware is really good. I've wondered if Corel would ever come back to the MAC side as our Mac platform runs a lot smoother than Windows. 

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 01:14:47 PM »
We run Corel on our Macs using VMware Fusion. it allows a virtual environment of Windows. it's been pretty seamless. Also the support from VMware is really good. I've wondered if Corel would ever come back to the MAC side as our Mac platform runs a lot smoother than Windows.

Corel spent a fortune on development costs for the Apple version and did "diddly" in sales.....Last time I saw something about Corel Draw it said that 60% plus of their sales were to businesses who were not graphics related.....So many small businesses just trying to stuff in-house...But I think even the PC version will not survive too much longer...

Sometime back Adobe made comments about PC versions outselling MAC versions by a wide margin....Although that was before the cloud...These days I am guessing Illustrator / Photoshop, etc. run pretty much the same on either platform....

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 03:18:37 PM »
I bought Fusion to try to run a few different things, including Corel Draw, but after the frustration of trying to get things to work, I just gave up, not because it wasn't worth it, but because I never, ever, get Corel Draw files, from anyone. I'll bet it's 4 - 5 years now. I've been using Illustrator and Photoshop since very early versions, and can do pretty much whatever we need between those two. If the others here are happy with Fusion, then perhaps that's the quickest route to getting him working.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ixpoz

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 09:32:03 AM »
I have used Parallels successfully on macs running various versions of windows and it worked quite well. I have not run Corel, oddly enough, because I’m using it on a dedicated pc now. But I used to run FlexiSign RIP under Parallels and I was amazed at how well it performed. One of these days I’ll load Corel on there to see how well it works. Good luck and let us know it it works.

Offline DCSP John

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 09:50:48 AM »
Thanks everyone.
We set up VMware Fusion and downloaded Windows and Corel.
Up and running and spitting out seps. Thanks for the advice.

John

Offline tonyt79

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 10:30:12 PM »
Have them make the change. I was all Corel and bought a Mac to transition slow over to illustrator but a storm blew out my windows computers and had to change immediately. Very uncomfortable for a few weeks but after that it was okay. Illustrator does so much more than Corel in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk