Author Topic: This is for the Males  (Read 2056 times)

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
This is for the Males
« on: March 09, 2018, 08:45:40 AM »
At the age of 54 having 4 brothers and 1 sister three of the older brothers diagnosed with Prostate Cancer I was having blood work done every 6 months to stay on top of things. No symptoms, No pain, No problem urinating. On Oct of 2017 I had a biopsy performed and the results came back positive. I asked what everyone ask, Why? I have no symptoms how is this so. On Dec. 2017 I chose to go to the Cancer Center of America Newnan Ga for my HDR (High Dose Radiation Treatment). When I was diagnosed my PSA was 4.2 which is not real high I found out later. I have my PSA checked every 6 months now and the last check it was a .65. I feel like I need to spread the word for Men to get the blood work done regularly especially if your over 45 and its in your family hsitory. It could save your life from this sleeper disease. I thank God each and everyday for his grace on my life and give him all the glory.
This may not be the place I need to post this topic but Frog will place it in the correct spot. thanks
Coop
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:47:45 AM by sportsshoppe »

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: This is for the Males
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 09:12:40 AM »
Good public service announcement. I'm checked annually with no family history. It's just a good practice, as I'm pushing 66...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 09:28:06 AM »
Likewise, after having some plumbing problems s few years back, my urologist was initially concerned about a slightly raised PSA, though in the end, consistently steady readings in annual checkups alleviated his (and my) fear.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Croft

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 09:31:16 AM »
Always a good check to have , just got the call from the doctor this week , hitting 50 soon so time for the checkup

My father died from this a few years back, his was discovered early by chance and it gave him 14 years extra but they weren't the easiest.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 09:33:49 AM »
You can take a blood test... my doctor says he has to do prostate test manually... :-[

All kidding aside, do take care of yourself we work way to hard to not live long enough to enjoy the golden years
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 09:39:50 AM »
there are some recent (last 3-4 years) studies that indicate PSA numbers are not good indication for diagnosis. Additionally, it is now agreed that prostate is continuously changing as we get older and almost every male is in for elevated numbers over time. While not adopted by 100% of the doctors yet, physical check is considered significantly more reliable than blood work.

that SUCKS!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 09:44:23 AM »
Even after I was diagnosed they could not feel it manually and they knew where it was located. Many different ideas on what works best but the blood work and the steady incline of PSA was my saving Grace. I had 3 out of 12 core biopsy cancerous.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 09:48:59 AM »
Even after I was diagnosed they could not feel it manually and they knew where it was located. Many different ideas on what works best but the blood work and the steady incline of PSA was my saving Grace. I had 3 out of 12 core biopsy cancerous.

glad to hear all is good now!
Thank you also for the feedback, it goes to show you can't trust even the Harvard Medical Journal! I'll have to change my position on not doing the bloodwork!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 10:05:21 AM »
Good to know Scott as you and I are around the same age, I need to go in for a check up....glad your doing fine ole friend. 8)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline KevinD

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 10:21:12 AM »
Also don't forget the colonoscopy at 50!  Had my first one last month.  All I did was take a short nap and it was all over.  Most insurances pay 100%
Kevin Dumont/General Manager/GM Graphics
Office 231-652.2210 ext 218 Cell  616-322-5925
kdumont@gmcompanies.com www.gmgraphicssupply.com
Facebook/Instragram/Linkedin/Youtube  "GM Graphics"

Offline Robert Clark

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 10:29:34 AM »
Thanks for sharing your personal story and advice !
Robert Clark
One Stroke Inks
Senior Account Manager
rclark@osinks.com
(800)942-4447

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 10:37:33 AM »
It's good to publicize it. I think if people can talk about this more like just one of the realities of life, it helps de-stigmatize the topic. And that in turn will hopefully help guys find it easier to deal with this kind of thing in a timely manner. And fyi, "old guy problems" don't always wait until you're an old guy to come knocking (try 30!), so younger guys need to hear it, too. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 12:26:21 PM »
I just turned the big 50 so my first colonoscopy is scheduled for the middle of next week..  It is definitely best to stay on top of things.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline KevinD

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 01:49:59 PM »
I just turned the big 50 so my first colonoscopy is scheduled for the middle of next week..  It is definitely best to stay on top of things.
The only thing hard about it is the liquid you have to drink before.  Some people have a problem drinking it. I didn't it tasted like Alka-Seltzer without the fizz.
Kevin Dumont/General Manager/GM Graphics
Office 231-652.2210 ext 218 Cell  616-322-5925
kdumont@gmcompanies.com www.gmgraphicssupply.com
Facebook/Instragram/Linkedin/Youtube  "GM Graphics"

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 01:57:12 PM »
The only thing hard about it is the liquid you have to drink before.  Some people have a problem drinking it. I didn't it tasted like Alka-Seltzer without the fizz.
Like wise... That is an easy procedure almost feel like I should have had more soreness after the entrance :0