Author Topic: Sprint 3000 Hood Venting  (Read 1895 times)

Offline IntegriTees

Sprint 3000 Hood Venting
« on: March 10, 2018, 09:24:57 AM »
Getting my new Sprint installed on Tuesday.  The guy that is doing the venting dropped the ball and didn't order in the double wall.  It isn't as readily available as sing wall.  M&R directions highly recommends the double wall but i'm not sure I can get it in time without it costing an arm and leg.  I'm here asking all of you with these big gas dryers if you have single or double walled vents hoods. 

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
Re: Sprint 3000 Hood Venting
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 10:50:23 AM »
Getting my new Sprint installed on Tuesday.  The guy that is doing the venting dropped the ball and didn't order in the double wall.  It isn't as readily available as sing wall.  M&R directions highly recommends the double wall but i'm not sure I can get it in time without it costing an arm and leg.  I'm here asking all of you with these big gas dryers if you have single or double walled vents hoods.
Check code in your area. It might specify double wall. Single works but then you end up insulating it to prevent heat buildup in you room which probably cost as much as double wall. Just a FYI
Rich Hoffman

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 02:29:56 PM »
Sorry, deleted content as I have an electric dryer, not gas.

However, in my area, Home Depot does sell double wall vent tubing as most hot water heaters here require it.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 02:32:41 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 04:01:59 PM »
Main circ blower stack is B vent.  Front and rear hoods are regular pipe, insulated on a separate system, i.e., don't vent your main circ and your hood vents together.   Our hoods tie into the overall vent system which is powered by a restaurant type exhaust fan and the rear hood has a furnace type fan with an outboard motor on it so it doesn't burn out (thanks to Rich H for the suggestion on that).   Main stack goes straight out the roof without assist (shorter ceilings).   Sprint 2000 HO with 16' of heat.

Offline Du Manchu

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 10:24:47 PM »
I just did my Sprint 3000 in double wall.  12” doublewall, 14’ up and out (for both exhausts) cost about $1600, wholesale.  It’s  certainly expensive and difficult to find in 12”, but you may as well do it the right way for that shinny new purchase.   Try the local supplier for the HVAC industry.

Offline Croft

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 08:45:50 AM »
I did single wall 12" to 8' of double wall through roof as per code, our building is actually cooler now with the gas dryer over the electric . to the point we are having to pay to heat the building .

my buildings abut 30'x90' with a 20' ceiling.

i will say we have had a huge drop in electric bill and gas is reasonable , probably will see a savings in the $500 a month range , but will know better in a few months

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 08:54:16 AM »
We did double wall. We had to run a few days without the vents because they supplier couldn't get parts in time but no big deal.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 01:11:15 PM »
Somebody needs to sell a basic, affordable heat exchanger, could easily heat most of the production area around the dryer.   Or, you could use it pre heat water for a larger hot water heat system or hot water maker.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 03:14:52 PM »
Somebody needs to sell a basic, affordable heat exchanger, could easily heat most of the production area around the dryer.   Or, you could use it pre heat water for a larger hot water heat system or hot water maker.

X2
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline IntegriTees

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 09:11:36 AM »
had to piece together everything but I will have all of it here by 2pm today.

Might have to run it a few hours today without the venting because the dryer AND folder were both full installed yesterday.  This M&R tech had it going on!

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 01:06:45 PM »
Might have to run it a few hours today without the venting

This is gnar gnar dudes.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is no joke.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 01:13:56 PM »

X2

We DIY'd one last year, basically surrounding an upright pipe with a larger diameter pipe, wye's on both ends,
6" duct fan blowing through. My engineering friend told me it would be as efficient to just point a fan at the pipe.
He was right. Unless you have a reaallllly long run you can surround, that way won't work.

One idea I just had was to run the exhaust through a re-purposed central heating unit. Those have big heat exchangers
and are basically setup to do exactly what we need. I've not explored the inside of one though so I don't know how
the burner POC's are fed into the exchanger etc.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 04:52:16 PM »

X2

We DIY'd one last year, basically surrounding an upright pipe with a larger diameter pipe, wye's on both ends,
6" duct fan blowing through. My engineering friend told me it would be as efficient to just point a fan at the pipe.
He was right. Unless you have a reaallllly long run you can surround, that way won't work.

One idea I just had was to run the exhaust through a re-purposed central heating unit. Those have big heat exchangers
and are basically setup to do exactly what we need. I've not explored the inside of one though so I don't know how
the burner POC's are fed into the exchanger etc.

That might could work, lots of coil on these units:
https://i.stack.imgur.com/QOutB.png

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 10:16:47 PM »
Might have to run it a few hours today without the venting

This is gnar gnar dudes.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is no joke.

I am mistaken that this is the hood vent and not the exhaust vent?  I was under the assumption hood vents are at either end of the heat chamber to pull spillout heat and stank from discharge.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 12:04:13 PM »
I am mistaken that this is the hood vent and not the exhaust vent?  I was under the assumption hood vents are at either end of the heat chamber to pull spillout heat and stank from discharge.

Oh, if that's the case then not nearly as bad. I just assumed if someone is going up to the roof they're doing it once.