Author Topic: Pantone 871c?  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Pantone 871c?
« on: March 14, 2018, 10:10:18 AM »
I'm trying to get a color close to 871c, since that what photoshop is telling me it's suppose to be, but my current pantone system doesn't seem to have it listed in their formula guide. Anyone know what the story is with this particular color? I checked a few different systems and I don't see it. Client is being very particular on this so I need something as close as possible. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Pantone 871c?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 10:11:43 AM »
looks like a metallic color vs a standard color from a quick google...

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 10:15:00 AM »
That was I figured. On the artwork he sent it looks like a brownish color, but I can't find anything that close. I have a Copper metallic here that seems to have the right shade, but he doesn't want a metallic ink for that color.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:17:24 AM »
Maybe a picture would help. I'm trying to match the '.com' portion of the design.

Also, I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge on this topic. I'm new to mixing pantone colors. Most of what I print doesn't usually require it, but I wanted to expand my horizons a bit this year.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 10:31:19 AM »
If the client isnt asking for a pantone, I would just eye match it vs using photoshop eyedropper, especially since it is giving you a funky reading.  It is close to 7497C as well, which is not a metallic, though that color is probably a little greener than you want so adjust the formula accordingly.

If the client is asking for a pantone, and that pantone is metallic, but he doesnt want a metallic ink, I would explain that isnt possible and take the above approach.  Very few clients who ask for pantones actually care in my experience.  Many of them dont even have the actual books in front of them but are just googling the color, or they dont understand the differences between coated and uncoated etc.  It's up to you to feel out the individual client's expectations of course, but for something like this (small website, PMS code that doesnt match reality, etc) I would bet a close approximation is more than fine.

Offline SEPSINK

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 11:11:36 AM »
451 C would do if you dont have that metallic ink.

www.seps.ink Color Separations For Screen Printers

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 11:26:24 AM »
If the client isnt asking for a pantone, I would just eye match it vs using photoshop eyedropper, especially since it is giving you a funky reading.  It is close to 7497C as well, which is not a metallic, though that color is probably a little greener than you want so adjust the formula accordingly.

If the client is asking for a pantone, and that pantone is metallic, but he doesnt want a metallic ink, I would explain that isnt possible and take the above approach.  Very few clients who ask for pantones actually care in my experience.  Many of them dont even have the actual books in front of them but are just googling the color, or they dont understand the differences between coated and uncoated etc.  It's up to you to feel out the individual client's expectations of course, but for something like this (small website, PMS code that doesnt match reality, etc) I would bet a close approximation is more than fine.

I hear ya. He didn't specify the 871c to me, but I used the picker in photoshop and thats the color it was giving me so I wasn't sure how to go about getting something close. I sent him a proof with the 7497C and he loved it. Thanks for the help! Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here.

Thanks again!

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 12:16:18 PM »
Looks like you're good for now, but for future reference:

If your mixing system will provide "U" solid uncoated formulas, you can eyedropper those in Photoshop to get a similar color but different formula. For example, the color in your image would be 105 U.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 12:21:44 PM »
Looks like you're good for now, but for future reference:

If your mixing system will provide "U" solid uncoated formulas, you can eyedropper those in Photoshop to get a similar color but different formula. For example, the color in your image would be 105 U.

Nice, thanks for the tip. I'm piecing together this system as I need honestly. It's the UMX system from Total Ink solutions. They're a local ink supplier in my area. I don't expect it to be on the same level as IC, Wilflex or any of the top brands mixing systems, but for my purposes hopefully it gets the job done.

I'll check their software to see if they have an uncoated option.

Offline johnny

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 12:48:07 PM »
also for future reference, any of the pantone colors that that are 8xxx are all a metallic/shimmer and the 8xx are all fluorescent. i ran into an issue one time where the person taking the orders who is also the art guy didn't know this beforehand and i printed a very nice looking metallic gray that wasn't supposed to be metallic. luckily the customer was fine with it, but i learned that i have to doublecheck with them every time they pick one of those colors, forgetting that they're shimmers.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 01:13:55 PM »
Yeah we have a few different shimmers and liquid gold but 871 formula is Fools Gold

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 01:55:19 PM »
Good to know. Is there a system in place to mix these custom metallic pantones or do you need to custom order them from your supplier? I don't do much metallic prints, but I'm curious for future reference.

Offline tse1990

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 03:35:40 PM »
Good to know. Is there a system in place to mix these custom metallic pantones or do you need to custom order them from your supplier? I don't do much metallic prints, but I'm curious for future reference.

I just learned about Metalic Binder 301 today. Matsui system. Specifically in my case for Black 7 C.

"Metallic Binder Base is a special effect "metallic" ink that can be used as a silver shimmer or tinted with NEO Color Concentrates to create a range of colored shimmers."
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 03:55:10 PM by tse1990 »

Offline johnny

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 03:57:45 PM »

i'm using the wilflex epic mx system, so i can just look up the formula in their software and make it happen

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 05:16:58 PM »

I just learned about Metalic Binder 301 today. Matsui system. Specifically in my case for Black 7 C.

"Metallic Binder Base is a special effect "metallic" ink that can be used as a silver shimmer or tinted with NEO Color Concentrates to create a range of colored shimmers."

That Matsui Metallic Binder is the best thing since sliced bread. We have our custom metallics from it and we can mix about any water base metallic color we want. It's very good ink