Author Topic: any experience building tables, shelves, racks with a grid system?  (Read 974 times)

Offline rusty

Has anyone here used or have experienced building stuff with a grid system like the https://8020.net or gridbeam.com.

I am going to building out my shop more, particularly the dark room. I would prefer not to use wood in the darkroom and with the possibility of moving this winter I would like reuse the material or adapt it as time goes on.

this seems the best option with a lot of possibilities.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:20:14 PM by rusty »

Offline Croft

Re: any experience building tables, shelves, racks with a grid system?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 12:26:24 PM »
I know it used to be crazy expensive, no experience using though

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »
I'd build it in wood for what you can't buy.  Buy rolling racks for screens etc.

If you move and you have everything cut and assembled for that room, it may not work in the new space.

Wood is cheap, and it's easy to work with. 

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 01:30:47 PM »
good points. Thanks

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 01:56:53 PM »
good points. Thanks

Also this way you get to buy new tools...I'm eyeing a nice Makita hypoid drive saw right now.  Just waiting until I get a half approval from the wife.  Which will probably be when I start the replacement wainscoting in the family room.  I've already done a few built ins and a couple window seats in the house.  Along with the wainscoting I am putting in a built-in workspace for the kids with cabinets above and a nice desk for homework and crafts.  It will all be done in shaker/craftsman style.

Offline rusty

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 02:31:55 PM »
"It will all be done in shaker/craftsman style"

Nice! I already have most of the tools from when I tried starting a side woodshed business with some buddies. I am pretty much a novice but I do love building the stuff.