Author Topic: Sidewinder R series  (Read 855 times)

Offline Prince Art

Sidewinder R series
« on: March 16, 2018, 12:18:36 AM »
Can anybody tell me: What are the distinctives of the "R Series" version of this press? The most I've found in my research is that the pallets aren't aluminum, they're some sort of composite(?). Also interested in knowing what timeframe an R series press would be from.

Thanks!
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline domineight

• Verified/Junior
Re: Sidewinder R series
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 02:32:20 AM »
The last sidewinder I used had composite pallets. I quite liked them, certainly seemed as sturdy as ali pallets, lighter weight of course but nothing that would make me dislike them.
The only thing I didn't like about that particular press was the pallet arms suffered a bit of deflection under pressure. I'm not entirely sure what the "R" signified, but I understand the models with sideclamps had a longer pallet arm than those with back clamps. How much longer I'm not sure, and could well have contributed to the deflection I could feel from the model I used.

I'd probably buy one though if it was a bargain.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 10:36:41 AM »
The one I'm curious about does have side clamps. Makes me wonder now what the diameter is when set up fo 23x31 screens. I hadn't heard about deflection as a possible issue - just that the Sidewinder is one of the top recommendations for a manual. Thanks for the input!
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline XG Print

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 01:23:27 PM »
Not sure what the cost is you are looking at but I would look around.  I may be unlucky but I have seen several Sidewinders that have some pretty jumpy micros.  Im in the market to add another manual to our shop and I have been hearing great things about the Ranar Elite and the micros from what little time Ive had with them seem dead nuts on.  Im down to the Sidewinder and the Ranar and honestly I would have never thought about the Ranar had I not seen one at a show.  It is really nice and a brand new 6/4 is less than 5 Gs and you can get the M&R slide style pallets. 

Offline BlueMoonMatt

• Production Manager at Blue Moon
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 05:32:44 PM »
Not sure what the cost is you are looking at but I would look around.  I may be unlucky but I have seen several Sidewinders that have some pretty jumpy micros.  Im in the market to add another manual to our shop and I have been hearing great things about the Ranar Elite and the micros from what little time Ive had with them seem dead nuts on.  Im down to the Sidewinder and the Ranar and honestly I would have never thought about the Ranar had I not seen one at a show.  It is really nice and a brand new 6/4 is less than 5 Gs and you can get the M&R slide style pallets.

I never had much luck with the Sidewinder micros either. And those springs were a scary thing when they would break and go flying to the other end of the shop. The airlocks were a nice touch but they tended to make the screen jump a bit when you locked them down. Still one of my favorite manual presses to print on.