Author Topic: Don't get into my space "Shop mentality".  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Don't get into my space "Shop mentality".
« on: March 16, 2018, 03:05:00 PM »
Every now and then, I walk back into my office with a feeling of relief and happiness.

I just came back in from the floor and it hit me again. I occasionally reflect on the fiasco in Nashville with that owner that decided to change his mind after not even two wks of hiring me. What a cheap lowlife unintelligent business move to make. It baffles me how a person can think like this, but there are people out there like that.
I'm really over it, but still baffled at the stupidity.

The owner and the art director whom I was initially to oversee, came together and didn't want me to go out into production to "interfere" with things printing and get involved with issues. Apparently, the art director had more pull with him then I had imagined. Their theory was that I might cause more stress on the two print mgrs than they already had. FEAR. It was all fear. A fear of change, A fear of new, different approach and didn't want to rock the boat of the two managers on the floor. Guess what?  Apparently, they needed their boat rocked. I reflect on that incident (I call it "the incident") and think, MAN,  I dodged a bullet by him letting me go so soon. Imagine how it would be for me, if I had stayed longer, and found out how it was going to be there after Ive invested so much more effort with them.  I've had push back before, but that was ridiculousness.

Here, at this shop, I'm out in production a lot for short periods of time. In and out of production + seps and still get 10-15 or more seps done a day. I'm out there long enough to make a pass by each press to see whats next, give a heads up to any special attention projects, get feedback. Discuss with Tony and Will about certain jobs, etc. It's pretty flawless here. We all have a responsibility and we cover each area. Management is more than willing to try new ideas. They watch my back and I watch theirs. Each area can make their mistake for the day but someone catches it. We've had some pretty nice prints coming out of here. It's not me I'm happy with. It's this place. It's a "we" do this" kind thing. Good people,  Good owner, Good management all around (and they actually like having me on the floor).  LOL.

Tony and I talk over things and I love that he spells out his theory or reasons for things. He's open about what he does. Will is just eager to dig in. We will sample or test anything interesting when we get the time to fit it in. It helps bring me into the shop each day. :)

The takeaway is this,  Empower your people to be free to be a part of other areas and likewise. Cross train and don't "protect your little space" in this world.

Happy days! :)
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Don't get into my space "Shop mentality".
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 07:23:37 PM »
Remove the Ego and its amazing what people can get done :)

Glad you found a Home in your work environment.  Its a rare thing.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 07:37:28 PM »
If it were me, I'd want the separator to check in on print jobs here and there to see that the jobs were coming out as close to what they separated as possible and if not, help determine what might be creating a different outcome.  Whether it be mesh count choices, too much squeegee pressure, tension or etc.  Some people with an I know it all attitude will leave no room for improvement, a very stagnant environment or worst yet closing the doors eventually.  I don't blame you one bit for being happy are not there anymore.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 08:02:45 AM »
One of my favorite concepts is Synergy in the workforce. When you get it, cherish and protect it. Can't put a price tag on that. Thanks for the kind words and yes, I dare say things are pretty ideal here. Can't imagine being anywhere else

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 12:36:53 PM »
for some reason, that I don't really care about anymore, one of our guys has sort of walled himself off in our new space. It's pretty silly really, but we'll deal with it until it gets out of line. Being a good worker doesn't give one the autonomy to give crap to the employer, though I've met a few over the years that weren't aware of it until they were fired.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 12:40:04 PM »
Some folks will just never be team players.  The way I look at it is this, I'm here a lot.  I would like to work with people that are enjoyable and don't add to my stress level.  We all have to work together to get work out the door and if you're going to be a butt, you're done.

Offline domineight

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 06:30:38 PM »
Unless you're a very experienced screenprinter running the separations and can foresee all the problems occurring, or possibly occurring you probably have a duty to go and watch it working.
Or it's probably just good practice regardless of the skill or ability at both ends of the stick anyway.

I like doing a bit of everything. Run some digital proofs, print some shirts, wash some screens, pick up the broom or vacuum, make coffee's...

I don't think there's ever an end point in this industry where you don't learn something new or get challenged by something that walks in the door, that's good though, keeps it all interesting.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 09:11:58 PM »
That's kind of the way I am.  I'm interested in all phases. Art, Seps. Printing, Sales, Owner decisions/planning, forecasting, Pricing methodology, efficient processes etc. My job's got to allow me to branch out, help out in many areas.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 11:20:15 AM »
That's kind of the way I am.  I'm interested in all phases. Art, Seps. Printing, Sales, Owner decisions/planning, forecasting, Pricing methodology, efficient processes etc. My job's got to allow me to branch out, help out in many areas.

Sounds like you should own a shop LOL........ I sold mine because I hate lots of that stuff LOL
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse