Author Topic: Employee that doesn’t grasp the concept of personal space  (Read 1129 times)

Offline InkSplash

• Verified/Junior
Employee that doesn’t grasp the concept of personal space
« on: March 20, 2018, 08:01:50 AM »
So guys got a question on how to handle a situation. Got a guy that is good as gold but has some issues that are really fu;$&!? Things up around the shop and creating issues with other employees. This guy means well, I truly believe that but he doesn’t understand the concept of personal space. He used to be a bouncer and well... sometimes even I feel the “bouncer hovering” over me. He steps into areas of the shop that aren’t his job and distracts other employees and frustrates them. I mean hell UPS dreads coming to our place because of this 1 individual thinking he’s being productive I guess and in reality is just creating a cluster. Any thoughts on how to reign this guy in?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Employee that doesn’t grasp the concept of personal space
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 08:11:08 AM »
He might have a different thought of what skills are needed for a Mgr position. He might be trying to show he can be perswasive and monitor people. His intention might be to move up. If someone doesn't have any previous exposure to good managing and he's only been a bouncer, this could be the case. If this is the case, (inquire) as to his reasoning. If it is, then he probably needs some good grooming and put in his current place.

On the other side, he might just naturally be a bully. Might be all he knows.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 10:21:47 AM »
Off the cuff thoughts:

Have you tried talking to him about it? If it were me, I wouldn't start with a big, serious "sit you down & set you straight" talk. I'd probably start with just pulling him aside, and saying something along the line, "Hey, Guy (whatever his name is), come here. Let me talk to you for minute. I want you to know you're doing a great job at [whatever he's doing right]. I also see that you're trying to get involved in a lot of different areas around here, which can be a good thing. But you're, eh, you're kinda making people feel crowded. It's feels like you're just... hovering. That makes people nervous; it doesn't win friends. So, I'd like for you to try to back off, give people some space. Ask them first if they need help - from maybe 10-15 feet away. If they say yes, go help. If not, just go back to what you were doing. You think you can work on that?"

I'd expect him to have some sort of rebuttal, some self-defense. But whatever he says, (even if he agrees that you're right,) I'd probably respond with something like, "I'm not trying to put you down. I think you've got good motives. I'm telling you this because it will help you get further with people here. So think about it, try to do it." And send him back to work.

And then I'd pay attention to whether he makes an attempt or not. However he responds, you can use that first brief, friendly conversation as reference point for future communication. Hopefully it will be to tell him you've noticed a change & appreciate it. (Which you should definitely tell him if he does!) Or, possibly for a more serious "sit down" if he doesn't.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:25:06 AM by Prince Art »
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline InkSplash

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 02:35:07 PM »
Yea he has been sat down and told the whole “Man U are doing great” at this task and that task, And I’ve told him nicely to stay out of peoples way. He’s one of those people who “overthinks” the simplest of tasks and complicates uncomplicated situations. For example last Friday he pulled 5 small orders, and put the work order in the completed box before they were ever even setup on press.... when I caught that he had mixed up one of the orders after he was appalled that I went behind him even after he ASSURED me it was correct he went to blaming it on the customer, not just a hey I messed up. When Ups comes he can be coating screens, reclaiming, whatever.... and low and behold when he hears the bay door go up here he appears and dicks up check-in because he bombards whoever is handling check in at that time and they just walk off out of frustration. It’s like he’s scared he’s going to miss something. I have explained on numerous occasions LEAVE DELIVERIES ALONE and then they can be checked in. I watched him today move 2 skies of tees that came in 3 different times and mix up other orders in a matter of 15-20mins. I am typically quick to tell someone to leave, but I do know that he tries so I’m trying to be patient.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 03:49:35 PM »
when I caught that he had mixed up one of the orders after he was appalled that I went behind him even after he ASSURED me it was correct he went to blaming it on the customer, not just a hey I messed up.

This makes me question your good as gold analogy. 

Is gold different where you are?  :)

Offline InkSplash

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 04:44:10 PM »
Basically all I am saying is I know the guy means well; and he does have his strong points. I’m just asking if anyone has ever had a similar situation and how they dealt with it and what the appropriate manner to address it. I used that situation from the other day as an example.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 07:10:52 PM »
Hmmm.  Well, you've had one talk with him and explained. So I'd think you want to take documentation steps in the next meeting. This kind of sets the tone for seriousness. He should slow down with his behavior if he wants to stay there. If you need another talk, then, he prob isn't able to change.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline KevinD

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 12:49:23 PM »
Hmmm.  Well, you've had one talk with him and explained. So I'd think you want to take documentation steps in the next meeting. This kind of sets the tone for seriousness. He should slow down with his behavior if he wants to stay there. If you need another talk, then, he prob isn't able to change.

Agree with the documentation.  Always document issues with write-ups with either the person signing the write-up or a witness that signs stating that the employee refused to sign.  If it come to having to release him you had better have your paperwork up to date if he sues. If it goes to a court the judge will tear you up if you didn't have documentation. 
Kevin Dumont/General Manager/GM Graphics
Office 231-652.2210 ext 218 Cell  616-322-5925
kdumont@gmcompanies.com www.gmgraphicssupply.com
Facebook/Instragram/Linkedin/Youtube  "GM Graphics"