Author Topic: Screens for accurate color  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Screens for accurate color
« on: March 21, 2018, 04:32:33 PM »
What screens show accurate colors?
In our graphics dept we have Dell screens that are ok but don’t give us accurate color rendition.
What we see on the screen doesn’t in any way match the Pantone color.
Is there a way to see accurate colors without spending a fortune on high end screens.
I know there is a program for color correcting the screen.
Maybe a I phone or I pad or some other phone shows accurate colors, I am looking for a cheap solution.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Screens for accurate color
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 04:45:26 PM »
Its been a while since I have used one of these.  If someone knows of a better solution, shout it out :)

https://www.pantone.com/pantone-colormunki-display

https://www.pantone.com/pantone-i1display-pro-2

Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 04:55:38 PM »
Maxie

It is a function of monitor calibration more than the monitor itself, Colin has pointed you the tool to calibrate in his prior post.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 07:10:08 PM »
Its been a while since I have used one of these.  If someone knows of a better solution, shout it out :)

we have both, I like the colormunki much better. Also, get an LCD monitor that uses IPS technology. The other stuff shifts colors with angle changes too much. The back lighting should be LED, fluorescents change color too much with time.

I've bought decent monitors in the $300 range. You might have to go to $500, but for what we do, anything more is probably overkill.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 12:08:20 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
Once you calibrate a screen does it stay accurate or do you have to recalibrate regularly?
Also are you calibrating only the screen or the system, computer and screen?
If you switch computers will the screen still be color calibrated?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:11:08 AM by Maxie »
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 02:40:22 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
Once you calibrate a screen does it stay accurate or do you have to recalibrate regularly?
Also are you calibrating only the screen or the system, computer and screen?
If you switch computers will the screen still be color calibrated?
Its a system that marches your computer to the monitor. You should recalibrate monthly, but we do it quarterly.
Pierre
P.S. munki will calibrate your printer too!
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 09:03:38 AM »
Just a quick noe, but even calibrated monitors will not match ink on a shirt. One is light, one is reflecting light. Inherently different. Not to mention, unless your client is also using a properly calibrated monitor what they see and what you see will be different. This is pretty much the whole reason the physical pantone books exist.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 11:43:11 AM »
I'm not too smart, I forgot to ask my brother who is a photographer.    He has a Xrite I1 Display that I am now using to correct my screens.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 12:30:27 PM »
I will second that even with a color monitor, an ink matching system, and all the controls in the world, a QC person somewhere is saying it isn't the right color.  Don't get me wrong, great to calibrate your monitor, but the viewing circumstances, and the inks used often shift color perception.  Discharge is a great example.  Red discharge on a really humid rainy day in Socal will be brilliant PMS186, but the next day it could be offshore wind and dry and that red print will shift to a darker red due to the lack of humidity that will affect some discharge colors.  Subjective viewing comes down to us as well.  How I perceive color and how a QC worker with better color sense will often be different.
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 12:37:22 PM »
I will second that even with a color monitor, an ink matching system, and all the controls in the world, a QC person somewhere is saying it isn't the right color.  Don't get me wrong, great to calibrate your monitor, but the viewing circumstances, and the inks used often shift color perception.  Discharge is a great example.  Red discharge on a really humid rainy day in Socal will be brilliant PMS186, but the next day it could be offshore wind and dry and that red print will shift to a darker red due to the lack of humidity that will affect some discharge colors.  Subjective viewing comes down to us as well.  How I perceive color and how a QC worker with better color sense will often be different.

Almost need a disclaimer paraphrasing the signs about credit or complaints I've seen almost all of my life:
Helen Waite is our resident color expert. If you need an absolute dead-nuts match, please go directly to Helen Waite!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 02:33:21 PM »
Before PMS matching systems, back in the day of ovals and all air carousels, we mixed by eye.  Luckily I had a great ink matcher until one day we got some pigment in and the label had fallen off.  He couldn't tell what color it was since he was color blind!!!  He mixed by greyscale and used the pigment labels and leadman's comments of, a little more red, not so much orange. But he always nailed it, to this day I have no idea how he could do it. For those who have done waterbase, it's no easy feat repeating the color, but that's what we printed mostly.  Jorge is still mixing ink and running presses at my friend's shop.  Miss my old crew.
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 09:26:52 AM »

We really need to get one of these for the shop. I run two monitors and they are vastly different from each other.

I do a little art side work at home and work on a Mac that I have calibrated by eye. The lady I do work for keeps telling me that 326 C is Blue *sigh*